Defender Sold

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Venture capital comes to rape and pilage not grow the business. Thus West Marine has gone down the tubes, Defender will likely follow. I can't see any thing brought to the table to improve the business or any announced plans to excite the customers. Cut the overhead, increase debt, leave the corpse to bankruptcy court and take a big bonus. Nice work if you can get it.
There is a big vacuum forming in marine gear sales, wish I knew if anyone will fill it.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I heartily agree with this, love that company!
They've been really good to deal with.
recently, Hamilton Marine up here in Maine, always great to deal with both locally and online, has had pricing equal or better than defenders'

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Venture capital comes to rape and pilage not grow the business. Thus West Marine has gone down the tubes, Defender will likely follow. I can't see any thing brought to the table to improve the business or any announced plans to excite the customers. Cut the overhead, increase debt, leave the corpse to bankruptcy court and take a big bonus. Nice work if you can get it.
There is a big vacuum forming in marine gear sales, wish I knew if anyone will fill it.
Didn't mean to give a thumbs up on this post. Although I agree with some of it. I think the "Venture Capitalists" want the cash flow of the business and would like that to continue. I agree they are not interested in the long term , but I expect they'll enjoy the cash flow for some time. I don't think they'll kill the golden goose very soon.
We'll pay higher prices until there's competition. And competition is growing.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
It's sad to see a family company like Defender get bought out. I can't afford to shop at defender with the shipping and import duties to Canada but when we used to be able to hop across the border I shopped there. My local shop tends to beat the prices and, like others have mentioned, Marine Outfitters in Kingston and the Binnacle out east are good. Canadians looking for a marine supplies should put this one on their list