Decking forward cutty need pictures previously inhabited by wildlife (Javelin)

Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
This boat 14 Javelin 1971 guess was full over the seats with flotsam jetsam what ever was not removed for?
twenty years?
animal destroyed most of inside flotsam and decking and bulkheads all repairable.
can some one take picture of the decking inside the forward cutty this is rather chewed up.
some idea what should look like.
512EA545-A482-4909-83ED-491EBB83AC6A by seaswood, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Looking at a number of Javelins for sale online, I found this image for a Javelin at only a year off from your boat in question. I would think there wasn't much more to the area of the 'V' berth, than that.
o039day-javelin-14039-sailboat-main-and-jib-sails-with-trailer-11.jpg

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
Bleach & water
but those plants have stickers actually went into the gel coat still okay for a Javelin.
the coon really did not want to leave.

Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
All the manufacturer installed flotation has been removed by the coon cat.
I have a collection of gallon milk jugs, should I attempt to fill the void under the decking with milk jugs?
they would probably be floating in the water that comes in the stern drain so not sure.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Milk jugs are made to self destruct (biodegrade) over time. I suspect you are looking for a long term flotation.

My Montgomery 15 had foam pieces in various sized blocks.It lasts a long time and floats. Lots of buoyancy. Will keep the bow above water when you flip your boat upside down.

This link might shed some light on your foam needs.

• Helpful
Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
Thanks glad to dispose of the milk jugs.
that leaves the underside of the forward decking, possibly the bulkhead.
the under the decking would be tricky .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If it was easy it would not be a sail boat.

You got this. You can buy 2 part pourable expanding foam. if you are careful you could place this in some of those hard to reach spots. Just not too much. The stuff expands. No reason to blow the deck off the hull. Test the product before pouring it into the boat.

Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
The under decking in the javelin is a small space that will have water intrusion.
part of the design unless the stern drain plug is left in.
since it is hard to pour onto underside of decking.
the main flotation was the underside of the seating, permanently sealed with manufacturer.

Jun 1, 2020
Oday Javelin Woods Hole
painted to look betta cleaner, under the decking there are boards each side keep athwartships water moving I think.
Port side was mostly chewed broken off by raccoon, but there was just enough to attach new wood one piece sitting in center before I got attached today.
FB0D2A58-2352-4D7F-8C5A-A076FF93DB37.jpeg