Deck Wash-How To?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
We have a 2002 Hunter 356. We cruise 3 months every year on the Great Lakes and in the North Channel. We probably should have had a deck wash years ago...but you know how the list goes! Anyway I want to install a quick disconnect port near the anchor locker-and plumb with PEX from a thru-hull. I want to utilize a pressure pump. So I always do all my own electrical and plumbing/routing. That said instead of me figuring the best and least invasive routing and components-I was hoping that another sailor had done this and maybe could share the materials and source and best routing in this upfit for a Hunter 36’. Thanks for your help. Jim n Kathy currently on SamiDog in Lake Huron off Goderich, Ontario

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
As an alternative, I saw a guy at a marina who put the wash down pump and a pickup hose in a plastic tool box with a hose connection cut in the side. He had a long 12v cord to power it with an on/off switch on top. He would connect his hose to the tool box and threw the pick up hose that was stowed in the box overboard. Seemed pretty slick. Wish I took a picture.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You might look at add it as an Anchor Wash pump that serves multi purpose.
My hose is in my Anchor locker.
Panel label = "Sea Water pump"
Jim...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I reconfigured my head plumbing so shower drain, sink drain and head Inlet are all on the same thru Hull. This opened up a thru Hull for my washdown. I’ve connected the washdown to flush mount fittings using pex with crimped connections. One fitting in cockpit the other in the anchor locker

The fittings I used are from https://aquorwatersystems.com/why-aquor/ and don’t leak a drop while connecting or disconnecting the hose under pressure

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I reconfigured my head plumbing so shower drain, sink drain and head Inlet are all on the same thru Hull.
Slightly off-topic, but I had a C36 Mk. I and my shower sump went to a vented loop before the through-hull. Do you have one? Remember, the sump is below the waterline. You must have a loop, just wondering if you have a vent in it (vacuum breaker).

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Slightly off-topic, but I had a C36 Mk. I and my shower sump went to a vented loop before the through-hull. Do you have one? Remember, the sump is below the waterline. You must have a loop, just wondering if you have a vent in it (vacuum breaker).
I’ve course I have a vented loop on the shower pump.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Remember, the sump is below the waterline. You must have a loop, just wondering if you have a vent in it (vacuum breaker).
Not always needed.
My sump discharges way above the heal water line [Port side aft rear] plus it has a tiny "joker valve" on the discharge.
Jim...

PS: Even if it overflowed backwards from a siphon , it goes to the Main bilge pump which discharges on the Starboard side.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Curious...is PEX OK for below waterline attaching to a thru hull?

Also, I made my washdown hose long enough to reach the back of the boat. I only use about 5 feet for the anchor but occasionally it is nice to wash other parts of the boat, especially if you are in fresh water.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Not always needed.
My sump discharges way above the heal water line [Port side aft rear] plus it has a tiny "joker valve" on the discharge.
Jim...

PS: Even if it overflowed backwards from a siphon , it goes to the Main bilge pump which discharges on the Starboard side.
I was referring to the Catalina 36.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I was referring to the need for ANY high point loop.
This attempts is to break a siphon. if it happens.

No flow back , no siphon.
Jim...
I don't know what your point is. Discharge above the waterline, or put a duckbill valve on the hose, or both?

Vented loops are pretty standard practice. Not all discharges are going to be above the waterline, and, of course, all inputs for raw water are necessarily below the waterline.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I don't know what your point is.
It was a simple point.

You must have a loop
You said "you MUST" have a loop".

I noted that is NOT necessary if...
1) you have a a back flow preventer. [Mine does]
2) The discharge line is above the healed water line. [Mine is]
3) and back flow by siphon STOPS, if you expose the discharge to air again
4) Even if it back flows, does it hurt your boats main bilge pump [Mine overflows to main bilge]

So the simple point is..
You Don't always need to have a vented loop.
End of this discussion...
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It was a simple point.

You said "you MUST" have a loop".

I noted that is NOT necessary if...
1) you have a a back flow preventer. [Mine does]
2) The discharge line is above the healed water line. [Mine is]
3) and back flow by siphon STOPS, if you expose the discharge to air again
4) Even if it back flows, does it hurt your boats main bilge pump [Mine overflows to main bilge]

So the simple point is..
You Don't always need to have a vented loop.
End of this discussion...
Jim...
You know, Jim, you don't have to be so snide. I was asking in a completely sincere way. As I said, in the case of a Catalina 36, you must have a vented loop in the shower sump drain line. The C36 was the context and scope of my comment. Of course, if you have an outlet above the healed [sic] (it's heeled) waterline you don't.

Regarding what you refer to as a "backflow preventer," I offer that that's not an approved or recommended manner with which to address a potential siphoning situation. A vented loop is. Ask the ABYC, a marine surveyor, or your insurance company.

This is the most ridiculous statement. You're saying a siphoning potential is nothing to worry about if it siphons into the bilge, and you have a bilge pump. Really? Which has more capacity? And what happens when the bilge pump finally runs the battery down?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You know, Jim, you don't have to be so snide.
Well I have to BOLD, HIGHLIGHT and Color for you to note my comments.
but my first name is ...
Dammit and 2nd Name is JIM..
Follow the "Weather and Forecasting" Forum on how I got Dammit as a 1st name.:pimp:
-------
This is the most ridiculous statement.
You just need to relax and enjoy others who contribute thoughts.
Take care...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I purchased a anchor wash pump kit and put pump down under bottom of steps and teed into head thru hull
and ran plastic hose up into vee berth into under anchor locker and have 3’ hose in anchor locker nothing ease needed been there almost 10 years get best pressure pump and anchor here Fl lots of mud it works great.
Nick