Deck stepped mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Schell

I just purchased a C-30 in San Diego and am activly shopping for a float on/off trailer. Looks pretty good for this but am curious about anyone who has made the change to a deck stepped mast and where the tabernacle was purchased? Any hints about how to? Already have the single handed raising method down pat.

J

jr

i have a deck stepped mast

I just bought a 1978 C-30 as well. The mast on mine is deck stepped, it doesn't go thru the cabin and sit on the keel.

C

Chip Willis

Have instructions for stepping the mast.

I have the instructions that the seller was kind enough to type up for stepping the mast (I bought A C-30 with deck stepped mast). I have only brought the mast down and up once and that was on the sea trial but I will type in the instructions soon (they are on the boat). Also safety is a big issue because I saw two boats at Mission Bay Yacht Club in San Diego without masts because they did not have a back up safety harness. They also had other damage caused by the mast. CW

C

Chip Willis

Be at boat 10/26/04

I will not be at the boat until 10/26/04 then I will get the instructions.

J

John

Dancing the 40' step with a 300 Lb partner

I like being independent at sea. Naturally this means that I believe I should be able to step and unstep the mast of my C30 by myself while afloat. (I am 5'9" 155 lbs) I have been experimenting over the last 48 hours, while my vessel is on the hard with the method of an a-frame bolted to chain plates, and tethered to the 4 horn cleats (2 fwd, 2 aft) and employing a noose with a tail cleated to bottom of the mast. This endeavor seems dangerous to me. I figure that given the cross sectional mass of the mast of 2.8 lbs / foot, plus the mass of spreaders, mast head, cap shrouds, lower shroud, for and aft stays, 3 halyards, the furler w/ drum and foil, the pvc conduit, 8 #12 THHN wires, lights etc. the mass of this 40' spar is really about 300 lbs. During the attempted erection the wishbone (a-frame) groaned loudly, and bent inward dramatically (asymmetrically to port). Nobody told me that this would cause a significant reduction in the height of the a-frame, and thus reduce the tension of the tethers to the point where they weren't contributing to the stability of the setup. I would really love to hear from someone who has actually unstepped and stepped the mast of a Catalina 30 while at sea. I don't believe that some of the posts, which I have read about other boats, were actually attempted. It reminds me of Plato and his belief that he could deduce how many teeth a woman had though he had never actually counted them. Oh, by the way, he was wrong. Please, Mr. Willis, tell us your story. And what about tabernackles on this size boat???

Status
Not open for further replies.