deck restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Herb Langland

Good Old Boat Magazine had an article about Penetrol... does wonderful things to an old deck... can you use this and still wax over it? Any experience using Penetrol out there? I have Cat 30, 1982 in good shape but the deck could use some help.

R

RNavratil

penetrol

I used Penetrol once on a boat, never agaain. It looked great for a short time. It clouded over and I re-treated, again looked great for a couple of weeks and got blotchy. I ended up sending the boat in for new paint. I would try 3M One Step or Seapower instead. Dick N.

Jan 2, 2007
Catalina 30 Lake Martin, Harbor Point Marina, Ala. Cat. 30
penetrol

Dick: According to the article I read, a thin coat a penetrol should be put on... did you use thin coats?

J

JIM B.

BE SURE TO USE MARINE PENETROL!

THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF PENETROL, IF IT ISN'T MARINE PENETROL IT WILL ONLY MAKE A MESS. I SUGGEST SCRUBBING THE DECK REALLY GOOD WITH ACETONE FIRST. YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT WANT TO WAX OVER THE THIN COAT OF PENETROL AFTERWARDS. THE BEST THING ABOUT USING PENETROL IS WHEN IT GETS WET IT IS A LITTLE STICKY INSTEAD OF SLIPPERY. WAX WOULD DEFEAT THIS. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK USING PENETROL ONCE A YEAR. THE AZ SUN IS BRUTAL AND IT STANDS UP TO IT PRETTY WELL. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.