Deck drains and Scuppers 1973 Ranger 29

Sep 29, 2021
Ranger 29 Washburn
I need to replace 6 deck drains/scuppers on a 1973 Ranger 29. I am having a hard time finding marine quality metal drains to fit the 1 1/2 hole in the deck and be short enough to fit between the footwell drain hole and the outlet shutoff valve. Must be less than 4” long. Anyone have a part recommendation?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As a former Ranger 29 owner .... no. I'm sorry to say. I think I read on this or another website that RV suppliers may have that part.
You have outlet shutoff valves? I don't think I had them. When would you close them?

Sep 29, 2021
Ranger 29 Washburn
Shutoff valves were added after about 30 years when original thru hulls began leaking. Marina maintenance isn’t keen on the suitability of the rubber gaskets on the RV replacements we put on earlier. One was broken when replacing the gas tank, thus the current need to replace it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ranger cockpit drains are a Rube Goldberg type design in the first place. Some of them are just scary. Adding owner modifications often doesn't improve the system. I hope yours will work out.

Sep 29, 2021
Ranger 29 Washburn
No kidding. Can you use thru hulls instead of scuppers? I'm finding stainless steel thru hulls that look like they,ll actually fit. I know they lack a strainer and any kind of backflow preventer, but the original drains had no backflow preventers and never had a problem with water coming in.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I can faintly remember a post on Sailnet Ranger forum, that discouraged re-directing the cockpit drains to drain out the transom as an alternative to the thru hulls. The reason being that at hull speed water would back up in the cockpit. I didn't really understand the mechanism.