*&#@$ Deck Cleats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith K.

I'm a little frustrated. I have a broken horn cleat on my C22 and I can't find a replacement. It's an RWO, which means the dimensions are metric. It's 180mm long and the holes are 20mm apart, center to center (it's a two-hole cleat). Anyone know where I can get a replacement (preferably not nylon like the original)? Or am I going to be forced to drill some new holes and put an "english" size cleat on? Thanks for the help! Keith K. S/V Vesta

J

Joe Ford

Only drill one hole....

If you can't find one to fit, get a larger cleat, fill in one of the holes with marine-tex putty, use the other hole to position the new cleat so it covers the repaired hole. Then mark and drill one new hole. Use bedding compound like 3M 101 for water seal, don't forget to use backing plate, fender washers will work. If your cleat is on the mast or boom, drill and tap, the new holes. You can get a drill and tap to match your screws at Home Depot. Someone told me that until you drill or cut holes in your boat it isn't really yours yet, so fear not.

K

Keith K.

Thanks.

John, I was wrong about the 20mm...it was 45mm, and the overall length was 180mm. Joe, I think I'll take your advice and drill out the new hole rather than waste any more time tyring to find an exact match for the existing cleat. Again, thanks. Keith K. S/V Vesta

J

john crosby

cleats

I now live in Norway, having moved from US with my C-22. I can look out in local chandlery for a metric cleat, if you wish. My e-mail is crosby@c2i.net let me know by e-mail if you want me to look/price, and cofirm dimensions and type metal or 'plastic'. regards, John

D

Dick of Sylvan

Nylon Cleats

I purchased nylon cleats from Catalina Direct. They fit the holes in my 1974 Cat 22 fine, though they were a little off on a friend's ca. 1982 Cat 22 and he had to drill one hole a little. Incidentally, on these older boats, don't step on the cleats as the nylon gets brittle with age and may break. So much for the modern world of plastics though I do like the price compared to good old brass. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.