Bed-it Tape Vs Silicone for Teak Seat Replacement

Sep 7, 2022
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 Lake Wylie
Hi,

I would appreciate comments regarding the suitability of using Bed-it Tape instead of silicone as I replace teak seats and trim. Thank you.

Skipper J

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Stay with Bed-It. Silicone is a poor choice of sealant as it has low adhesion properties and may cause issues later with stuff sticking to where the silicone was used.

Dow 795 and Silpruf are silicon based and can be used, because the chemistry behind them is much different from the typical marine and hardware store silicones.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Typical Silicone really shouldn't be used on a boat. I have spent way too much time on my current boat, removing failed silicone that was resulting in leaks (in one case leading to hatch coring repair)
Fully removing the old silicone made it even more "fun"

I would love to go back in time and stop whichever previous owner it was, from going to home depot.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like Bed-it Butyl tape as a tool. But like all tools, you need to use them under the proper structure. The Bed-it tape needs to have fasteners to hold the fixture in place. It then works to seal the surfaces, stopping water intrusion.

I have yet to find a spot where "silicon" based caulking is optimum on my boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Personally, I much prefer bedding things with "bedding compound" which was developed specifically to bed things on boats. It is easy to work and cleanup is a breeze.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I have had great results with Mainsail's butyl caulk. Worked wonders on chain plates for many years.