DC power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2007
S2 9.2A Perth Amboy
I have a 1984 S2 9.2A. Since winter storage, my power system has become flaky. I haven't had any problems with the starter engine, but sometimes the power to the instrument panel, radio and lights disappears. In a few cases, power loss and reappearance seemed random, but I have also experienced that I lost power when switching on the engine, as well as a case of regaining power when switching on the engine. The weirdest experience was when, with the engine off(!), I put the gear shift in reverse and suddenly radio and instruments started working again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or, does anyone have a wiring diagram of the boat that I could copy? Thanks in advance

J

Jim LeBlanc

Gremlins

Sounds like gremlins, don't you hate them. I have a 1983 9.2A also and have not experienced any of the problems you describe. Something must be wrong in your wiring system which needs to be discovered and corrected. I don't have wiring diagrams for a 9.2A. When you say "switching on the engine", I assume you mean starting it up. The main DC switch should be on before the engine is started and turned off after the engine is stoppped. Don't turn the main switch on or off, or change battery positions with the engine running. Also, I have been told not to switch the ignition switch off with the engine running, or you could damage your alternator.

B

Bob McKee

Sounds like it's time to open up the power panel and look for loose or corroded connections. A loose connection will sometimes conduct power and sometimes not, same with corrosion, it depends on if it making contact . Also check all of your grounds, on the engine and in the power panel. When your power came back when you shifted gears, you may have jiggled wires to reconnect. Start cleaning and securely tightening electrical connections. It's best to do them one at a time so that when you find the culprit you will know it. Gremlins...serving the marine frontier since electricity was invented. I don't have a wiring diagram either. When you figure out a circuit it is a good idea to make your own diagram. Most of these circuits are fairly simple, power (battery or alternator), switch, load device (radio, lights, starter, etc.) and ground. Good hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.