DC panel led indicator stopped working

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
On our way back to the dock after a few days away, my wife noticed that the indicator LED for the refrigeration switch on the DC panel had stopped working. The circuit still works, the refrigeration turns on and works fine but no indictaor light. I'm heading back to the boat this weekend and some trouble shooting help would be appreciated. The rest of the panel seems fine and all of the cricuits work but I am concerned that this is a prelude to a larger issue. If this is obvious, please excuse my ignorance. The boat is a Beneteau 323.

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
Could be a simple as a broken lead. Send pics of the back of the panel detailing that circuit's switching and annunciator wiring.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If your Bene DC panel is anything like my Hunter DC panel, I've lost something like 3 LED's over the 24 year life of the boat. Also lost one AC indicator LED. It was definitely the bulb and not a loose wire in all cases. Just cheap tiny little bulbs.

Available here at the chandelry :

1693587894882.png

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
If your Bene DC panel is anything like my Hunter DC panel, I've lost something like 3 LED's over the 24 year life of the boat. Also lost one AC indicator LED. It was definitely the bulb and not a loose wire in all cases. Just cheap tiny little bulbs.

Available here at the chandelry :

View attachment 219479
Thanks. I think I'm going to start there.

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
Could be a simple as a broken lead. Send pics of the back of the panel detailing that circuit's switching and annunciator wiring.
I'm going to be back on the boat on sunday so I'll have a look then. I always worry about random electrical problems as this boat has so odd wiring courtesy of the previous owner.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
the indicator LED for the refrigeration switch on the DC panel had stopped working. The circuit still works, the refrigeration turns on and works fine but no indictaor light. The boat is a Beneteau 323.
Changed one of the DC panel LED indicator lights on my Beneteau 343 in May. Ordered a replacement from Beneteau spare parts that was way overpriced; however, I wanted the "exact" OEM replacement bulb so that I could swap out the old bulb with no modification. The bulb didn't fit & I broke it attempting to insert it into the panel. Ordered a Blue Sea bulb #8171 from Amazon & an 11/64" drill bit to slightly enlarge the panel hole. Fit like a champ at a fraction of the cost of the Beneteau bulb (including the drill bit)! Looks exactly like the OEM bulb when illuminated. Not uncommon for these bulbs to expire.

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
Thanks! I couldn't find the part on the Beneteau spare parts site but the Blue Sea one is available locally and pretty cheap. That Blue Sea bulb on Amazon.ca was $10.47 Canadian with $25 shipping to arrive in mid-September.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
LEDs don't work for ever and the wires connecting them about 22 or 24 ga. The wire is easily broken. The LEDs are not essential to panel's functioning, they get power when the breaker is on the ON position.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I wonder why they even put these bulbs on electrical panels. They really are only indicators that the bulb is still working! :)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks! I couldn't find the part on the Beneteau spare parts site but the Blue Sea one is available locally and pretty cheap. That Blue Sea bulb on Amazon.ca was $10.47 Canadian with $25 shipping to arrive in mid-September.
Wow! that is approximately what I paid for the Beneteau bulb. Amazon had the blue seas bulb discounted to $3.58 & free two day shipping with Amazon Prime. At that price: I purchased two! Don't forget the 11/64" drill bit.

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm hoping it's just the bulb. I'll have a look behind the panel this Sunday when we are on the boat.

Feb 15, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Titchmarsh Marina, Essex, Engl
I have a 1996 Beneteau Oceanis 351 ( in the UK ) - and one of my red switch panel indicators failed about 6 months ago. I replaced it with a "Blue Sea PN 8171" - which ( was of course Red) was easy to install, worked and matched very very well (such as colour and brightness)

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
Thanks. That's sounds like a good place to start. They are only $6 at our local Chandlery.

Feb 15, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Titchmarsh Marina, Essex, Engl
Great - here in the UK "Blue Sea" supplies seem to be currently less available - but following the installation I referred to above, I bought two more LEDs for future use a while back ( phew !! ) . FYI if I recall I removed and replaced both the LED and its black holder. I'd be glad to hear how your replacement goes.

Mar 14, 2016
Beneteau 323 Nepean
Thanks. I'm on the boat in an hour so I will have a good look. We are expecting temperatures above 30 C for the next few days so the boat will be the right place to be.