Daytona, Fla to Baltimore, Md

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
How many days to make that trip, assuming ICW starting middle March on 31' Hunter? How many days with off-shore legs from Florida to, say, Wilmington, NC, then ICW the rest of the way?

I figure 15 to 20 aggressive, 20 to 25 moderate. Off base or not?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Sounds about right. We left DC on June 24 headed south, and got to Daytona on July 15, travelling strictly on the ICW. We lost several periods of 1 to 3 hours for bridge schedules and in some cases waiting for higher water at the usual trouble spots. But we were also off the hook before sunup (once there was light enough to see), and some days we pushed to within 30 minutes of sunset, which I don't recommend unless you know the anchorage is going to be ok.

You get a lot further faster going outside, but my wife has never stood a watch before, or done any night sailing, so we decided to stay inside. I don't think we could have done it any faster. Hunter 31 with about 27' at the waterline, with a 23 horsepower Yanmar. We averaged about 5.2 knots.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
4-5 days Daytona to Morehead City,
3 days in the ditch to Norfolk
2 days to Balt'more.
Shorten it two days if you blow by Morehead City and round Hatteras.

Oct 26, 2008
Shorten it two days if you blow by Morehead City and round Hatteras.
That would be a negative. This would basically be a shakedown cruise with a new purchase for relatively inexperienced owner. I'm thinking that if conditions were favorable, offshore legs would not exceed one overnight. 3 persons on board.

Oct 26, 2008
That would be a negative. This would basically be a shakedown cruise with a new purchase for relatively inexperienced owner. I'm thinking that if conditions were favorable, offshore legs would not exceed one overnight. 3 persons on board.
I'd expect the first leg would be motoring ICW from Daytona to St. Augustine - that would be a day.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Entering and leaving the ditch from offshore can be even more challenging. Hire a delivery captain and get free bluewater sailing lessons. In mid March it will all depend on the fluky early spring weather.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I figure 15 to 20 aggressive, 20 to 25 moderate. Off base or not?
I would advise strongly not to plan an aggressive schedule, Scott, especially on a shakedown cruise. Take some time to get to know the boat before you head out. Review safety gear, check thru-hulls, etc., then make a short trip to your first anchorage and relax overnight. Plan a conservative schedule, maybe at 5 knots or so average, but don't push it. Take your time and enjoy the experience.
I tried the aggressive schedule from the Gulf Coast of Florida to New England. It wasn't worth it. We went out in heavy weather, trying to keep to a schedule. We motored in fog for three days off the New Jersey coast, hoping to find the inlets each evening. Not worth it.
On our return trip, we took twice as long, staying at anchor in questionable weather, and actually enjoying the sights. The occasional repair was completed in a timely manner, with no stress over time limits. Definitely worth it.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We usually start back around Easter from the Bahamas when the weather warms and the fronts aren’t so strong for outside jumps. ICW traveling can be done most days but can be uncomfortable in the sounds in Va and NC. We take a month at our leisure to get into the Chesapeake.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Agree with the don't set an aggressive schedule. You'll spend a lot of time motoring so make sure that all is order in that regard. With that in mind also make sure the fuel tank is clean so if you hit some rought weather you don't stir up "junk" from the bottom of the tank. I did not do that and hit some really rough seas off the NJ coast. Luckily the Yanmar performed flawlessly but after I got finished with the first leg from New Rochelle NY to Annapolis I realized that I was probably a very lucky sailor given what could have happened if the rough seas stirred up the tank and clogged the filter. Lesson learned!
They have been doing some dredging in the SC and NC along the ICW so that may help a little if you are inside during that portion of the the trip. There are some beautiful areas along the "lowcountry" portion of the ICW but the skinny water can cause some delays. Have fun - a tight schedule is a "delivery" not a "cruise."

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Take time to learn a new boat. How much offshore experience do you have?
Good luck. Have fun.

Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for all replies. I'm hoping to help a friend with delivery of his purchase (deal's not done yet). I was thinking that March might be too soon for stable weather even as far south as Florida, but his time expectation would have to be based on off-shore leg(s). I'm thinking that expectations will need to be modified and it would probably be an ICW trip! Keeping to a schedule … I know how everybody feels about that! :cool::cool:

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Even with the ICW you can run into some un-expected delays related to weather. In additition to the skinny water issues on along the SC and GA ICW, most of the swing and lift bridges (along the whole ICW) have a limit on the wind speed for opening. I believe the max wind speed is 35 mph or it may be 35 kts wind speed. In March you could hit a few days where that is limiting. We had one transit day with stiff winds but luckily hit about a 1 hour window for one of the bridges that had been closed most of the day where the wind died enough for them to open the bridge. Just have that in your back pocket for info.