Daysailer stepped mast conversion 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Pajak

Still looking for info on how to convert from struggling with a manually handled and stepped mast to a mast modified so it is hinged(pinned) where it exits the deck and able to be raised with a winch of some sort. Anyone have any experience out there? Pictures?

S

Sam

Mast Modification

Bob,I'm the original owner of a 1982 Daysailor.When I purchased the boat,the dealer did the modification with a tabernacle kit.Its sure easier to raise the mast but I do it with a few grunts and groans instead of a winch.I would be glad to mail you a few photos if you want me too.My eMail is harrellk@bellsouth.net....Sam Harrell

T

twigb

Hinged mast

If you shop boat hardware you will find a mast hinge consisting of two plates with flanges and a pin at each end. When you take out one pin you have a hinge. Saw the mast off above the cuddy (whew!!!). The cut must be exactly square with the mast--mark it carefully! If you shop enought you can find aluminum mast steps that fit up inside the mast. If not, shape treated wooden plugs about three inches long to drive up in the mast on each side of your cut keeping the plug flush with the cut. Secure either the step or plugs with short screws driven in from the sides of the mast (don't epoxy--you may spit a plug and have to get it out). Fasten a plate to each cut end using at least two substantial screws lined up fore and aft to keep the mast from twisting. Make sure the plates are square fore and aft so the mast is lined up properly. To step the mast I rest it on a simple x-support at the stern to hold it above the cuddy while I put the aft pin in the hinge and fix the side stays. I tie a line to the halyard and have the crew pull the mast forward as I lift it overhead in the cockpit. When it is up put in the front pin (the crew may have to help wiggle the mast to line up the holes). With the pin in place belay the line forward with a lot of tension and you can easily fasten the forward stay.

R

Richard Silpe

Hinge is readily availble.

The new maker of the DaySailer, sells the mast conversion hinge. I think they have two models to fit most masts. I converted mine two years ago. If you want to race you must cut about 2" out of the mast to allow for the height of the hinge. It works great and only costs about $70

Status
Not open for further replies.