Daysailer Cabin

Tonio

Mar 23, 2020
'87 17' O'Day Daysailer 17 Lake Pepin
Greetings! I finally got my boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yee hah!!! ' 87 17' O'Day Daysailer. Question: Is the cabin large enough for overnight sail camping for two shorter adults? Both under 6'. Also - trying to find a good set up for sailboat tenting? A hoop tent? Something to let air flow and keep bugs out. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is the cabin large enough for overnight sail camping for two shorter adults?
Tonio there is a sure fire way for you to discover this answer for your self. Since we all are "Shelter in Place" rules you can park the boat in your driveway, Grab a couple of sleeping bags and jump up in the boat for a "Stay in the Driveway" cruise. You can enjoy all of the benefits or challenges for a weekend in your driveway. The only thing missing will be the "Boat Rocking" from outside influences.

If you survive you can take your fun on the road. When traveling to long distant lakes I would use my 15foot boat as my trailer bed. Worked great in the parking lot of a Walmart on my route. It was fun to jump out of my boat and say Hi to the RV campers over a cup of Coffee as the sun was rising.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, Tonio. You have a very pretty boat and I'm sure you will get great support and cameradery here. I think O'Day built fine sailboats and many of them, such as the Daysailer, are still being built today.

O'Day Day Sailer II Sailboat | Bangor Punta Archives
This ad claims, "The cuddy provides adequate room for two to camp out overnight."

Looks like a standard rectangular tarp will work, but not against mosquitos. Most people make their own.
There's an active class organization (Day Sailer Association - Home).
Perhaps they will know more.

Good sailing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Bugs. Beware of bugs. If you use a boom type of tent, make sure that there is bug netting to close either open end. Mosquitoes and ravenous flies just before a storm. You should be hardy!! Have fun.

Mar 30, 2020
O'day, CL16, Snark, Snipe Daysailer 17 Eddy's on Grand, Rockville, MN
I'm working on resuscitating a Daysailer, and I have the same question. I'm thinking about hammocks with mosquito netting and rain flies. I can figure how to attach in the cuddy, but I'm trying to determine the best way to set up a high attachment point aft. It would have to be strong and well braced to hold the weight of two people in hammocks (or in one matrimonia). Anyu ideas?
Tom

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It would have to be strong and well braced to hold the weight of two people in hammocks
I know there are Mariner 19 owners who hang hammocks under the boom, supported by a sturdy topping lift. That's for a single person. Off the top of my head, you might be able to rig the boom crutch used in towing, to help support the boom with two people.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I have found sleeping in a hammock to be a non starter. I have used with success both inflatable mattress and thermorest. The thermorest should be selected for the best compromise between comfort and rolled up size. Another possibility is a bivouac sack that will keep out bugs and wet when you really need to.

In my mind the biggest issue is how tender the boat is with respect to your movements. Nothing wears you out more than having the boat roll around every time a person or dog moves.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, O'DAY did offer cushions for the cuddy as an option on the DS II for several years, so it is "possible"! Sleeping in the DS (II or III) Cuddy would be one small step up from a small tent in that the "roof" would never collapse during the night! You would definitely need a vent (preferably powered/fan) located forward to create airflow through the space and adequate screening to keep out the "no-see-ums"! Crawling into bed would be an accurate way to describe the experience. Where to stow gear (clothing, food, normal boat gear ,etc.) could be interesting, as you will not want it taking up room with you in the cuddy. Finally, dealing with the "call of nature" is not going to be a very private task on a Day Sailer, and no place for a porta-potty!

I'd suggest making a removeable plywood platform to bridge the cockpit seats as your sleeping platform, with a tent over the boom (could use PVC pipe "hoops" to create more room under the boom tent. Consult books on small boat camping for ideas. I have seen some interesting tents st up on O'DAY Day Sailers of various vintages that look promising. It CAN be done, but will take some serious planning! I had a few pictures of interesting boom tent variations that I had saved, see below.

Attachments

• Helpful