Davits for the Smaller Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

I'm considering adding davits to my 311 to hang my lightweight RIB. Does anyone have any experience with davits on the boats under 33'? My concern is that the extra weight might adversely affect the way the boats sits in the water. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
Our 321 is Stern Heavy!

Not that familiar with weight distribution on the 311, but our 321 is quite stern heavy. That is the reason that I have not considered davits. As a matter of fact, I just added a manual windlass and 100' of 3/8" chain, and keep the water tank full, mostly to help get the stern rail out of the water. You might want to consider Weaver Snap davits. They would minimize the balance problem. For now, we tow the 10' RIB, but will have to face this issue before taking any long trips. Jon

S

Steve

Manual Windlass

I would like to add a manual windless to my B331. Can you give some quick insight on your selection and mounting. Any sharing of your research and experience would be appreciated.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
Manual Windlass on 321

Steve, The windlass that I installed is a Lewmar (Simpson-Lawrence)Anchorman Manual w/ 3/8" chain gypsy and the optional Rope Drum. I purchased on Ebay, but they are available through most chandleries for around $625.00+. Cannot find a photo of the anchor locker on a 331, but there is one at our marina. If my memory serves me correctly, there is a small recessed area just aft of the chain locker door expressly for installation of a vertical shaft windlass (either electric or manual). Installation of the manual should be pretty straight forward for your boat. I believe that this is the windlass normally provided from the US factory. The major problem with all Bs in this size range is the shallow chain locker. Without adequate freefall for the chain or rode it tends to bunch up and then jump out of the gypsy. An all chain rode will be less likely to jump the gypsy. Chances are you will have to have someone monitoring the chain or rode when hoisting the anchor. There goes the primary advantage of an electric unit! The manual is vastly easier and less expensive to install, so I would think carefully about how often you will be anchoring, and whether crew will be available to assist. Even though I singlehand most of the time, I have been able to drop anchor retrieve in normal conditions alone. Have not tried it in a major breeze. I have photos of our installation, but the arrangement on the 321 is quite different than your boat. Feel free to contact me offgroup at jmcclain@southshorelabs.com. Good Luck! Jon

S

Stev

Thanks

Jon, Thanks for the detailed summary. You saved me a lot of investigation. You have confirmed my decision to go with a manual windless. I currently do not do much more them lunch hook anchoring and any extended travels will have ports on the agenda (need that A/C for the admiral). Thanks again...this is a great board because of people like you who are willing to share your experience Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.