Data marine model W-179 wind instrument

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I have a 1987 O day 272 Le with a Data marine W 179 wind instrument. When I turn on my other instrument, the wind instrument lights up but no wind speed indicated. What could be the problem.
The boat is in the water. There is no sail rigger in Western PA. to go up the mast to check it out. Lowering the mast in the water

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Faulty masthead instrument is my guess. My masthead Raymarine wind instrument failed on my Hunter 386 during 60+ knot wind storm. Had to climb the mast to replace it (actually I convinced my electronics guy to do it).

Troubleshooting tips: DMI Marine, Inc. - FAQ/Troubleshooting Tips

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You may have corroded connections. Check the connection at the base of the mast, that should be the easy one. Try cleaning it up and put a little dielectric grease on it and see if that fixes it, If not the connection at the masthead is a possible similar problem. That's the hard one. You may have another connection at the instrument itself. The bearing on the anemometer might have gone bad, look with binoculars and see if it is spinning freely, Compare it to other boats in the area to see if it's spinning about the same speed.