Darwin award

Jan 22, 2008
Oday Mariner Quadra Island BC
Here is one of the front runners in my "Darwin award" category. This little story is true, honestly!
Listening to the ships radio one evening off Denman Island BC, I heard this radio conversation between a power boat from the USA and the Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

Boat captain- Mayday...Mayday...Mayday! This is the power boat XXXXX (i don't remember the name) we are adrift with no power off of the Southern tip of Savary Island and drifting towards the rocks.

RCC- How many people do you have on board sir?
Captain- 5 and myself.
RCC- Does everyone have a life jacket?
Captain- Yes.
RCC- Are you taking on water?
Captain- No, we are just dead in the water, my aux motor won't start either. (you can tell by his voice he is about three sheets to the wind with too much rum)
RCC- Could you give us a better fix on your position?
Captain- Well I think we are off the southern tip of Savary Island. (a long silence follows) Well, maybe it's not the Southern tip, might be the north tip?
RCC- Do you have a GPS on board sir?
Captain- Yes I do.
RCC- Could you read me the co-ordinates please sir?
Captain- It's not turned on.
RCC- Could you turn it on sir and read me the c0-ordinates when it is booted up?
Captain- Sure!
RCC- (asks a few more questions about the passengers, any injuries,etc) Is your GPS reading now sir?
Captain- Yes it is!
RCC- Could you give me the co-ordinates please sir?
Captain- Yes sir. He reads out the co-ordinates. There is a long pregnant silence.
RCC- Well Sir, according to your co-ordinates you are somewhere in Colorado!
HOW DID THIS GUY MAKE IT OUT OF THE HARBOUR????

KRUSEN

Jun 12, 2004
Macgregor 22 driveway
I think his GPS powered up and he gave the coordinates that it showed immediately, which was where he turned it off. If he waited he would have been updated to the actual location. Obviously he wasn't in colorado, or they would not have been able to receive him. The proper solution to this problem is to deploy the anchor to keep things from getting worse. Then sort out the problems in a more relaxed mode.

Going out in daylight is childs play, but dealing with darkness when you are not sure where you went is a huge challenge. Leaving harbor with the GPS off is very dumb, especialy if it lays down a trail showing where you have been. You can then follow the trail home, even in fog. Been there done that, no sweat with visibility 50 feet and a narrow channel.