Danger of Windlessless Anchoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I've seen recent reports of an increasing prevalence in the ICW of the Vibrio bacteria discussed in this report:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57607169/deadly-bacteria-vibrio-can-kill-with-little-warning/

The report minimizes the dangers but cruisers who hand haul rope anchor rodes like myself and who have the usual small hand cuts associated with maintaining and sailing on a boat could be at significantly greater risk. It makes sense that the bacteria would be increasing in the ICW which is warming with the climate, increasingly polluted, and where many sections are poorly flushed by tide.

I keep all small cuts and abrasions on my hands covered with Liquid Bandage which keeps water out better, doesn't come off as easily, and doesn't turn into a water soaked pad when my hands get wet. I also just bought a pair of heavy, waterproof PVC work gloves that I will being wearing for all anchor work south of Mile Zero.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Good post; but, various forms of vibrio and other pathological bacteria such as mycobacteria, clostridium botulinum, etc. have been in warm saline water ... for eons. Watermen, since the invention of 'rubber', who are out there daily have ALWAYS worn rubber gloves, and rubber pants for that very reason. All you need is one single clostridium to pass your lips and survive your stomach ... and youre dead.
In a biological world, every damn species is trying EAT every other species on the planet.

Especially, in warm water, when youre finished messing about, WASH YOUR HANDS. If you went swimming, take a shower. Soap and water works quite well in removing such microorganisms from your skin ... and open cuts, too.

Too many people, not enough 'recipes'. <grin>

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
heavy leather gloves for anchor hauling--we even wear them when using windlass, electric or manual,makes no difference. is only smart.
always protect your hands always. working sans good paws is my specialty--dont do it..i have a physiological reason not to use paws as mine dont work. protect them.
working on hospital gave me great respect for paw protection. rubber gloves does not fulfill that need when you pulling something that has sharpness onb it. heavy leather yes. rubber...not quite.is a good start, but.....slickery....heavy leather is better..have a few pairs on hand.. easily bought at home depot for very little money--no reason to willfully risk life and limb with wrong equipment, of which gloves are included.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I always keep a pair of rubber-face gloves handing in the bow locker for handling ground tackle... and I have a windlass. But I do have to handle the bridle, sometimes the anchor comes up cocked, and mostly, I know what's down there. Also anytime the bottom needs cleaning or a line cleared.

Sailing gloves the rest of the time. You never know when you are going to grab for balance an get cut. I also have occasional tendonitis and they help.

Mostly I've learned to minimize cuts on my hands because I know how long they take to heal and how great the infection risk is. I've always figured that for a singlehanded sailor, your fingers are most of your crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.