Danforth Anchor Question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My O'Day 25, which has a displacement of something like 4,800 lbs, came to me with a Danforth 8S anchor. (label still intact). The label says for boats up to 24'. The S seems to indicate a kit that came with 3' of 3/16" chain. Some sites selling this anchor list it for boats up to 24' and some copy the Danforth site which says up to 27' in 20 knots..
The dimensions of my 8S anchor match the dimensions of Danforth's 9 lb anchor. I have 5' of 1/4" chain and 100' of 3/8" rode.
Being on the Barnegat Bay the deepest I will be anchoring in will be about 12', most likely 7' or less. Bottom is mud or maybe sand. Last year I only anchored a couple of times but plan to do so more this year and want to be prepared in case I get caught out in heavy weather.
Is the 9 lb Danforth heavy enough for my boat and use? Should I up size by one? My only hesitation to do so of course is the effort to pull the anchor up.

I thought that 5' of chain seemed short but my buddy with an O'day 32 has only 4' of chain on his anchor.

I'm just a little concerned the 9 lb anchor is the right choice or should only be considered a lunch hook since some say up to 24' and some say up to 27'.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Up size by 2 if plan sleep aboard I all ways carry 2 I once lost one and dragged smaller one to retrieve lost one

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Many responses and opinions on this. I can tell you that I use a 13lb Danforth with at least 12' of chain on my 25' boat. Chain length is important as it sets and helps hold your anchor. I carry one like yours with seperate chain and rode for second or emergency anchor set or can use as a lunch hook. Hope this helps, Chief
Note: I use my fenders and a sliding stainless steel ring to float my anchor and chain so I do not have to lift it off the bottom set.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Being on the Barnegat Bay the deepest I will be anchoring in will be about 12', most likely 7' or less. Bottom is mud or maybe sand.
You may also find that Barnegat has a lot of seaweed on the bottom, which may make it harder to set the danforth. We switched to a CQR there many years ago for that reason. Not saying the CQR would still be the way to go, but the seaweed is worth considering.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
My Meridan 25 has a dry displacement of 5300 pounds. Full cruising load figure at 7200-7600.My normal anchor is a 22 pound Claw, with 75 feet of chain. Back up is a 12pound Hi-Tensile Danforth with 25 feet of chain. Third anchor is a 16 pound folding Northill, again with 25 feet of chain. I feel minimum chain is a boat length

Personally, I would never go to sleep with just a single Danforth down, if there was any chance of a wind or tide shift. I've seen them fail to reset too many times.

As far as hauling it back up- I'm 75 and do it with no windlass :)

Jan 6, 2010
Ward,

The secret in setting a Danforth anchor is not all about what type or size but, rather the correct size & length of your anchor rode (chain) & length of scope.

Not all Danforth's are created equal. some have flukes that have a smaller angle of vertical travel. If the angle is too small, it in itself will not dig in good on sand & mud bottoms.

I found a local maker that has a larger up & down angle for dig-in bite. But, there is another part that need be sized correctly.

Your chain size & length is the secret for setting the anchor in many conditions. I have a 30 footer & use 25 feet of half inch 316 S.S. chain. the heavier & longer the chain, the better the bite. I dive & see anchors on the bottom. Most times unless winds, strong currents & seas, the Danforth's are just sitting on the bottom & you would be surprised, they not dug in at all however, it's the chain weight that lowers the pull angle & many tmes, rides on the bottom. The secret is the chain weight & length. This weight & angle lowers the shank & as things pick up, helps dig the flukes in.

If conditions grow yea, lengthen scope to change to lower the pull & shank angle & if all is good, you should stay put in place most times unless it gets crazy. If you wish, there are publications that will back me up, check em out.

I don't care what arguments I get, I know this logic sets anchors. You never wanna drag & if so, it's always at the worst possible moments, what I call being caught in the Shizz. Hopes this helps pal.

CR

Nov 26, 2012
Many opinions! Danforths are highly rated in most all evaluations done. Yes, chain and rode length are key. SET the anchor! Float the anchor up! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Terry: After reading many forums and articles plus my own 40+ yrs experience, it is refreshing to read such an experienced and educated explaination of anchoring technique. My only additional comment is to note that our boat size is 25' and we need to adjust the info as needed for size of boat. Thanks, Chief

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Many opinions! Danforths are highly rated in most all evaluations done. Yes, chain and rode length are key. SET the anchor! Float the anchor up! Chief
I have zero problem with Danforths- they are great anchors. But I've seen them come up with a beer can , or an oyster shell wedged in flukes- no way they could reset. Or the hard mud from SC and Georgia jamming the flukes. I'd trust two Danforths, well set, in a Bahama moor and often did on a previous boat. But not a single in a tide way.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Change your anchor to a Mantus. Best anchor you can buy and it's not that expensive. You don't want to go cheap on an anchor. I used to use a Danforth for anchoring the few times I would go out on the weekends back when I first bought my boat. The anchor dragged on me twice in a two year period due to a windshift. Both times it reset: 1) after dragging 80 feet and stopping my stern just 20 feet from another boat 2) dragged all the way across the anchorage and then finally reset just 70 feet from the rocks. That was enough for me to realize I needed a good anchor.

So if you like your boat, get the 25 lb anchor. You might be totally safe with a 13 lb but you know nothing will happen with a 25 lber and when that wind kicks up to 50 knots because a thunderstorm rolled in at 3 am, you will be glad you have it.

http://www.mantusanchors.com/

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
In Maine our tides range from 8 to 13 feet depending on the moon, sun and weather. Our bottom is primarily mud or muddy gravel, at least where I go. One spot its just sand. I have a 11 pound Danforth and a 9 pound Danforth. Neither one is a knock-off. Both have 10 feet of chain. We have never had a problem with dragging that wasn't my own stupidity. If you set the anchor properly and apply the appropriate rode, your anchor will hold in all but the worst conditions. In those, you'll be awake all night anyway. The Danforth is a fine anchor and has stood the test of time for almost 75 years. Why else would there be so many copies? However, there are also other fine anchors out there, all with legions of proselytites singing their praises for all to hear. Most work well in most condition and are excellent in a couple. Where the nextGen anchors do fall down is weight, size and cost. Not all sailors have a sailing fund greater that a college endowment. Many of us sail on a shoe string in smallish boats that cost much less than the next guy's radar, or chart plotter. Weight is as much a premium item space and if it wasn't, money wouldn't be so much if an issue either. That's the nitch that the Danforth fills, and does so as an effective, trustworthy anchor in most conditions. There was one time, though, that the CQR back up anchor on the Catalina 30 I chartered set immediately when the Danforth failed. Strengths and weaknesses.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
How are you planning to use the anchor? As a lunch hook? To stay aboard during a hurricane? For the first question Yes the anchor is fine, to the second, no, you will need a bigger anchor. I'm guessing with a 25 in Barnegat Bay you will use a lunch hook more often than not. A lot depends on how long you will be anchored and what type of weather you will encounter. If you are overnighting on the boat, it will depend on how often you get up to see if you are dragging.......If you are day sailing, you should be OK.
Lou

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Oh boy, an anchoring thread! That danforth will make a great kedge or stern anchor and everyone should have 3 anchors on a open-water boat. While danforth-style anchors (especially the Fortress/Guardian adjustables) hold really well on a straight pull, they do not handle veer, / reset well, so a tidal current change can break you loose and the thing will drag upside down or such. Get a modern spade anchor for your main - Mantus/Spade/Manson/Rocna, and get at least the next size larger. The anchor weight is what keeps your anchor down when you are forced to shorten scope (close quarters, or deep water). The chain should be long enough to lay on the bottom and drag about when you veer. 25'-30' for your boat.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I think what Gunni meant to say is that surface area, usually measured by weight but can be misleading if aluminum, is what keeps your anchor from popping free. Weight per surface area is what helps the anchor set, along with a good design like the anchors he mentioned.

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Grampian 26 Tybee Island GA
I have a Grampian 26 anchored on the back river and have had problems with it frequently dragging the Danforth anchor - not sure what weight (10lb maybe?), but a friend insisted it was actually big for my size boat.. Anyway, I decided to purchase a different and heavier anchor. I bought a brand new 22lb Delta anchor on ebay for $32 and $24 shipping (which totals at about half the price of what I see used ones go for on craigslist)..
Although they are brand new, the description says “Cosmetic wear involving the quality of the galvanizing of the anchor” -- I received mine last week, and I was surprised its only 22lbs, because it really feels heavier than that to me, and I really didn't notice much cosmetic flaws, and theres nothing structurally flawed, but the point is that there is no question that it grabs much better than the Danforth I was using (sandy, muddy bottom I guess).
They still have more of these, but I notice they went up to $40, but it's still well worth it. Really great deal for anyone interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231652572052

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B32 3 came with that anchor, so it should serve your needs easily- if you use proper anchoring technics.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
How are you planning to use the anchor? As a lunch hook? To stay aboard during a hurricane? For the first question Yes the anchor is fine, to the second, no, you will need a bigger anchor. I'm guessing with a 25 in Barnegat Bay you will use a lunch hook more often than not.
Yes, most likely a lunch hook , never during a hurricane. We hope to do an occasional overnight close to our home port and in fair weather but I know we need to be prepared for a pop up storm or wind.
Our dock mates have been overnighting weekends for years and suggested I move up a size to a Fortress FX11. For chain they only use 5' to 10' lengths on their 28' and 32' foot boats with 7 to 1 scope.
So, with that and your information my current plan is to get the FX11 and 10' of chain. I'll have multiple anchor alarms set and the Admiral will be watching the weather very closely.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Ward H, .... my current plan is to get the FX11 and 10' of chain. ...Thanks[/QUOTE]

Would not go buying a new set of ground tackle based on one neighbor. You should look at the West web site for their very good tutorials. Especially for the Fortress. Nigel Calders book offers this, "The Fortress... The downside to the lite weight is that the anchor "hydroplanes" very easily. If the boat [or current] has any way on when the anchor is lowered over, the anchor may never make it to the bottom.". Page 408. I had that same problem with my ex-Fortress.

The weight of an anchor causes it to sink into the bottom to start it's digging-in process.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Your anchor setup is fine for the bay. The bay bottom is mostly mud and 7' is about the depth you'll find on the western shore. I anchor out a lot with my Danforth and it has always held. I sail out of the Toms River and know the bay fairly well.