Damaged gel coat

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I agree - and or grind past the cracking. From the looks of the depth you may need to stabilize the areas with some cloth so that the gelcoat doesn’t need to be too thick. Then fair if needed and recoat with gelcoat. Coincidentally TotalBoat and Andy Miller just put out this related video with an overview of the process -
. Andy’s Boatworks Today channel has several other videos that might be helpful.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
By "grind", we don't necessarily mean a grinder. For that job a multi-tool with carbide attachments will do nicely.

Screenshot_20240714-113139_DuckDuckGo.jpg

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
It'll be easier if you remove that wood trim next to it, but if that isn't feasible then you could probably mask it off and still do a reasonable job.
In lieu of polyester & gel coat, you could do epoxy and paint. Either way matching the color is difficult.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is an easier way. Remove all loose gel coat. Then take a Dremel with a V style grinder and cut out Guthrie’s remaining cracks down to fiberglass.
clean out dust particles.
Fill with a two part epoxy. I suggest Water Tite Sand smooth. Mask off the area at the corners and front of area plus remove wood trim
Get a color chart and find what white plastic paint matches the gel coat and spray with a plastic spray

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The chandlery here in Dartmouth Nova Scotia has a "machine " that will match your gel coat colour regardless of its age. Just provide them with about a half inch piece and they will produce airdry gelcoat that matches what you have. I have used this service and I defy anyone to point out where on the boat I used it. If we have this service here in NS that means the rest of the world has had it for at least ten years. Call around should not have to mix and match to get the correct gelcoat match.