D4 laminate sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2005
Hunter 26.5 DeGray Lake, AR
In our last regatta, I managed to split my D4 Laminate jib at the leach next to the edging, about 6 feet worth.truck,trailer,d4 056.jpg The sail is ONLY 1.5 seasons old!!! I love the sail; the sensitivity to wind direction is amazing, keeping one to wind as tight as you can get it. However, I don't think I can afford a new sail every 2 years (or less!!). This is a Dimension-Polyant D4 sail; edging and ends finished by our local sail loft.
Question: anyone else have experience with the D4?
And, what other laminated, load path, membrane sails has anyone had good luck with, especially to longevity?
Thanks, Chaos

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In our last regatta, I managed to split my D4 Laminate jib at the leach next to the edging, about 6 feet worth.View attachment 57016 The sail is ONLY 1.5 seasons old!!! I love the sail; the sensitivity to wind direction is amazing, keeping one to wind as tight as you can get it. However, I don't think I can afford a new sail every 2 years (or less!!). This is a Dimension-Polyant D4 sail; edging and ends finished by our local sail loft.
Question: anyone else have experience with the D4?
And, what other laminated, load path, membrane sails has anyone had good luck with, especially to longevity?
Thanks, Chaos
Ouch..

I don't see a leach line. How do you keep it from fluttering? That can kill a laminated sail super-quick..

What does your sailmaker say?

Nov 7, 2005
Hunter 26.5 DeGray Lake, AR
Jackdaw, There IS a leach line. I have sent pics to sail maker; waiting for him to respond before I present it to him personally, posteroirly.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Captn,

That's good about the leech line. I'd be interestied in what he says. For our 36.7 we have UK tape drives. They last years.

PS - we sailed our Beneteau 260 all last winter on Lake DeGray. We loved it. It's a beautiful place and a great sailing lake. Suwee pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.