Cyclades / Moorings 51.5

Aug 31, 2023
Custom Custom Norfolk
Hi everyone! We're considering purchasing a 2006 Beneteau Cyclades 51.5, intended for long-term double-handed cruising (with occasional extra crew on passages). Can any current or former owners share their opinion of the boat? We like the size and layout, and my 6'4" partner is very fond of the cabin height. But I'm slightly worried by some of the design ratios, general robustness, and how she'd handle in heavier seas. It's difficult to find meaningful reviews from owners, as opposed to charterers, given the model's past as a dedicated charter boat.

Also, and this may be un-kosher, but are there any U.S. East Coast-based current Cyclades owners who would be willing to take us out for a day sail? The boat we're interested in is on the hard, and while the broker is of course willing to do a sea trial, we'd have to sink some money in first to get to that point. So if there are any current owners in our area (Virginia, but willing to take a little road trip) who would be willing to take us out and get a feel for the handling in exchange for dinner, that would be wonderful.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Seems the experience you desire..
I'm slightly worried by some of the design ratios, general robustness, and how she'd handle in heavier seas
could only be discovered by being on the boat for several days with an opportunity to experience the boat's handling abilities. Perhaps chartering a boat would be a good solution.
You desires are not likely to be fulfilled on a day cruise sipping champagne and chatting yachting.

Buying a "BIG" boat is easy. Managing a big boat, handling it in close quarters, preparing for a stormy night on a multi-day passage, or charting the weather patterns of the are not experiences that are risk free.

I sailed and raced in the 60's on the Southern Chesapeake bay. It was nothing like crewing on a MORC class boat to Bermuda.