Cutting back port frame

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
My Hunter 29.5 has ports that extend at least 1" past it's bezel. Is there any benefit to having this lip? I assume it's extra long to accommodate different hull thickness. I continually hook my toes on it. I believe I may have broken my pinky toe. I plan to shave this lip off unless anyone can tell me a reason for it? The photo shown is a similar style.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The port manufacturers make the spigot long to accommodate different hull thicknesses, you are correct. someone probably changed that port and didn't cut the spigot on installation. It is an easy job when installing new because you can test fit and mark the spigot then disassemble and cut it.. I recently installed new ports in my boat and cut them flush with the bezel.. The lips drain better that way and ya can't catch toes on 'em.. The PVC spigot will melt from the heat of cutting, so ya need an eighth inch or so to enable you to clean up the melty mess after cutting.. A multi tool is fine for this job.

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
Thanks, this is how hunter did it on all their 29.5. I think I'll go with a Oscillating tool, that should avoid the melting and allow a very flush cut. You are right on the draining. This spigot holds a ton of water, I already drilled drain holes in it to alleviate that issue.