Cutter Stay

• Thread starter Jan-Olof Persson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan-Olof Persson

Cutter stay on HR 352 Looking for solutions how to install a cutter ridge on my HR352LR(low mast) no 601. HR has no info to give and cannot help with suggested solutions. I intend to use a deck fitting fixed by 4 x M10 to a stay crutch 450 mm in the ancor box. This crutch will be fixed to the bulk head in the ancor box by 8 x M10. The stay will be of 8 mm 19-wire. The stay will be used for storm-for-sail and cutter-sail 15 - 20 m2 att hard wind conditions. Will my design withstand the forces ??? Grateful for advice !

J

Jan-Olof Persson

Cutter stay on HR 352 Looking for solutions how to install a cutter ridge on my HR352LR(low mast) no 601. HR has no info to give and cannot help with suggested solutions. I intend to use a deck fitting fixed by 4 x M10 to a stay crutch 450 mm in the ancor box. This crutch will be fixed to the bulk head in the ancor box by 8 x M10. The stay will be of 8 mm 19-wire. The stay will be used for storm-for-sail and cutter-sail 15 - 20 m2 att hard wind conditions. Will my design withstand the forces ??? Grateful for advice !

J

Jan-Olof Persson

J

Jan-Olof Persson

C

Capt Ron;-)

'Babystay'?

Rig-ridge, I'm thinkin' you meant rig...;-) Not a big deal, but need a plan, call Brian Toss on it and then buy his book.He is on the SAMS website. I will NOT tell you how to put one on, need a sail plan C Of E, center of lateral resitance etc, but will say this, you will need either running backs or jumper stays up above the spreaders, like encompassing the section that will be wanting to cave forward.

M

Martin Hinders

Cutterstay

Jan-Olof, to me it seems that your are going to use quite solid stuff, cannot see that there would be any propblems with M10 bolts and 8 mm wires... I have a Rasmus 35, thinking about fitting an inner forestay. The Selden manual describes the inner forestay as a stay that is not carrying any sails...but I will probably fit it anyway, to carry a storm fock or a jib. I can easily add running backstays just below the spreaders. Sending email to Hallberg Rassy and Benn's Mast in Stockholm has not given me any feedback, seems that only purchase orders are of interest... Rgds, Martin

J

Jan-Olof

Talked to HR this week

HR designer told me that the bulk head should be of at least 7 mm plastic addittional to the wooden plate when using 8 bults M10 and dimensioned evenly to the stay of 8 mm. He also told me that 7 mm stay would bee enough. I anyhow shooce 8 to have an redundance to the ordinary forestay. The weakist part will be the press of endfitting to the stay and thereafter the plastic surface pressure will limit in the holes for the M10 bults. regards

Status
Not open for further replies.