Cutter/Jackstay Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Morgan

I have a Catalina Morgan '91, hull #1 "owners" version (two cabin)with roller furled main and 135%. Has anyone made the "cutter" conversion using a jackstay for the hank on staysail, which would involve attaching a chainplate to a reinforced bulkhead in the forward head/tub/shower area, and adding staysail tracks forward? The current two sail plan doesn't give enough flexibility offshore.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'd check with Catalina

Personally, I'd want to know from a marine architect familiar with the boat if the hull can stand the stresses that would cause. It's possible that the new load points, and stress from different directions, could do some damage when you need the short rig most.

E

Ernie April

Catalina advises against, however...

Your problem, Sam, is shared by numerous owners of the C-42. In the Catalina Owners magazine, MAINSHEET, there have been several articles, technical notes, and letters from C-42 owners who have successfully added an inner forestay. However, the C-42 designer and Catalina Chief Engineer/Designer - Gerry Douglas - continues to advise against this modification. Maybe the C-50 is a different story. Suggest you phone him directly at Catalina Yachts. Cheers-- Ernie April WindCatcher (C-42 #618)

Status
Not open for further replies.