Cutlass bearing strut set screws

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I'm going to be attempting to change my cutlass bearing out in a few weeks. I've read that some struts have set screws, and some don't.
Out of curiosity, I called Catalina and talked their very informative Warren in tech support and asked if he knew if my 87 MkII had them.
He explained that Catalina ordered the strut assemblies from Marine Hardware in Washington already with bearings installed, so there are no documents at Catalina as to which had them and which didn't. He suggested that I check with Marine Hardware.
I was still curious, so I called Marine Hardware and talked to a very nice guy, Ron, who asked me what year it was and seemed to be able to look it up and find specifically that I should have a pair of set screws at 3 and 9 o'clock that are (5/16) 0.312x18 1/4" long.

I thought I'd share this.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
I'm going to be attempting to change my cutlass bearing out in a few weeks. I've read that some struts have set screws, and some don't.
Out of curiosity, I called Catalina and talked their very informative Warren in tech support and asked if he knew if my 87 MkII had them.
He explained that Catalina ordered the strut assemblies from Marine Hardware in Washington already with bearings installed, so there are no documents at Catalina as to which had them and which didn't. He suggested that I check with Marine Hardware.
I was still curious, so I called Marine Hardware and talked to a very nice guy, Ron, who asked me what year it was and seemed to be able to look it up and find specifically that I should have a pair of set screws at 3 and 9 o'clock that are (5/16) 0.312x18 1/4" long.

I thought I'd share this.
Was it discussed if the set screws were on the port or starboard side?
Steve

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
They should not be too hard to spot. Yes, they may have some paint over them, but I doubt anyone would fair the dimples in the strut :).

Greg