Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry Purdy

It looks like I may need to replace the cutlass bearing on my 1995 Oceanis 321. Do I have to drop the rudder in order to pull the prop shaft? Jerry Moonshadow II

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

How much

room is there between the prop and the rudder. that will give you an indication. If you have the room to remove the shaft you are okay, if not the rudder is going to have to come down Good luck Charlie

Mar 3, 2004
Beneteau 361 Marblehead
What type of Cutlass..

do you have?. If it is a rubber cutlass like the one on my 361 has, all you need to do is remove the prop, take out the two plastic set screws holding the cutlass to the SS cilinder and carefully pull back the cutlass along the shaft. You may need some patience and possibly make a tool to grab unto the bearing lip to pull it. If that fails, you may need to go inside, loosen the dripless seal and slide it towards the engine leaving room to introduce something to push the bearing out. In my case, I was prepared to do all of the above but fortunately I was able to slide it back before it became major surgery. You only need to drop the rudder if you have to remove the shaft, and that is really a last resort treatment. Good luck

J

Jerry Purdy

Thanks for the info

Thanks Jose. I'm not sure what type of cutlass I have but the haul out is on MOnday and will go from there. Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.