Cunningham Rigging Trade-off Question

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
PSR: Read the entrys! Yes. Chief
Thanks for the note, Chief, but I do not see an answer to the question in the entries on this thread. Maybe you are referring to entries somewhere else. I am hoping Don Guillette will reply with some discussion of using all three controls. Or perhaps you could briefly explain how you use the cunningham in conjunction with halyard and downhaul tension....
I haven't seen port chief as one of the officers listed on the C27/270 site. Are you port chief for Bodega Bay?
Thanks!
P

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
With downhaul and halyard both available to adjust luff tension, is a cunningham ever useful?
When you say 'downhaul' I assume you are not talking about a way to remotely bring down a headsail, but are referring to the lesser known way Catalina Yachts used to secure the position of the boom/gooseneck on their older boats.

Assuming that being the case, that downhaul is NOT a very effect solution vis-a-vis a real cunningham. A cunningham pulls only on the luff of the sail. The downhaul you reference is trying to drag the luff, the foot, and indeed the entire boom downwards. Its not a good idea and Catalina stopped making that thing years ago.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
PSR: Guess I'd better read the posts! Sorry, I guess Jackdaw and company explained it quite well on another post. In essence what was said is even though you can draw and tighten with halyard and sheet it is quicker and more effective to use a simple 2to1 Cunningham that runs aft to the cockpit.
Yes, I am Catalina assn's Port Captain (of course I changed it to Chief) for all Catalina Captains/crew who are members.
Hope I did better this time!
Chief

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Downhaul =Cunningham?

With downhaul and halyard both available to adjust luff tension, is a cunningham ever useful?
I thought these were one and the same. But I don't know the Cunningham history other than it seems to have come out of racing. I have only a main halyard to adjust luff tension. The tack eye is fastened to the goose neck by a shackle. But the sailmaker added a downhaul eye about a foot above the tack eye to "downhaul the sail with a Cunningham"...:)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
the man that invented the Cunningham was named Cunningham and he devised it while racing sail bouts...he also raced sports cars and even designed one called the Cunningham i think back in the late 40's and 50's

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A point of clarification..... downhaul vs. Cunningham. When I was learning to sail, way back when, this was my understanding: The downhaul referred to the "boom downhaul" Where the boom's gooseneck attached to the mast slot with a slide... allowing the boom to move vertically. Many boats were designed with this type of connection... most had attached foot mainsails... so pulling down on the boom actually had an effect on the foot of the sail also. The Cunningham bypasses the boom and works directly on the mainsail luff... while the boom remains statically attached to mast.

When I purchased my C27, it had a boom downhaul system used with an attached foot mainsail. I purchased a new, loose foot mainsail with a Cunningham cringle. So I converted to a Cunningham by fixing the gooseneck statically to the mast with some set screws. I replaced the straight hook on the downhaul line with a vee hook that I could insert into the sail's Cunningham cringle.