CT River for Sailboat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I'm thinking about keeping my boat in either Old Saybrook or Essex, CT. I'm concerned about the current and a long return from the L.I. Sound, motoring up the river a few miles. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has kept a sailboat in the lower part of the CT river and how much of a hassel it was. Thank you

D

Dave

Good Current but not a problem

I kept a 22' in Brewers yard in essex for a few years. The only problem was the weekend warrior power boaters. No respect for wakes or channels going under the bridges. As far as Essex. The essex harbor has a good little rip in it as the tides change. Can make for some intersting docking. I never found the main river channels to be a problem on a falling tide. I sail a H33 out of Westbrook now, Pilots Point. Dave

B

Bob Zolczer

I'm not on CT River, but am on the Housatonic

I have about a 45 minute motoring run to open Sound. It's a hassle dealing with bridges and some powerboats, but when thunderstorms or gale conditions arrive, I'm very happy to be docked in a somewhat more sheltered spot. Due to job commitments, etc., we're mostly weekend and vacation users. If I got home in time for a nice sail after work, I'd probably dock closer to the sound.

P

Pete

Close is better

My wife's uncle kept his on the Ct river for a while, but tired of the trip to the sound and eventually moved to Clinton. Old Saybrook is okay, but Essex is probably too far up river for most sailboaters. I'm also at Pilots Point and enjoy the close access.

C

Chris Rackliffe

Hassle

David, I encountered two problems when I had my boat in Old Saybrook. The first was the railroad bridge. It always seemed to be down! They occassionally would have problems and it would be down for a lenghty period of time. The second and bigger problem was the stream of power boats on the weekends. Unfortuately, most don't really care about the wake's they produce and thier are some large boats on the river. It's not like on the Sound when one gets too close, the navigation is restriced on the river and you can get several in close proximity creating havoc with wakes. As you know, this can send your boat rocking and rolling! The only advantages I see are it pretty protected and it's convenient.

M

Mike

Go with direct access

I would always go with a location that gives me more access to where I want to sail. My father kept his boat about mile upstream of mine in Branford, and I can't tell you what a difference it makes; and that's without having to deal with moveable bridges and huge power boats! The entrance to the CT River can be tricky, what with the current and that nasty sandbar (historically, that current and sandbar is why the area never became a major shipping port); there are a number of other options in the area, most notably the Pilot's Point mega marinas in Westbrook.

D

David

Thanks for the advice

Thanks all for your advice! I'll keep looking. Pilot's Point says they're booked for the season. There's a yacht club in Westbrook that I plan to check out or maybe Clinton. I know Cedar Island in there... I'm not sure what else is worth while. Thanks again.

D

Dave Johndrow

Locked in to the center of the state?

Given a choice, I would be in the noank/mystic area. Much better sailing. I'm at Pilots because of the amenities like the pool and play areas for the kids. In Noank you have several good marinas to choose from. I'll admit it could add more time on to the commute but I think the benefits may be worth looking at. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.