crystline build up

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
I have a white crystalline substance building up on the front of my engine. I can peel it off. it seems to be harmless. My questions: What is it? and how to prevent it of stop it?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No pictures so I'll SWAG it...
Boat located in Marina Del Rey.
white crystalline substance = SALT
Unless the boat is being used to run drugs... then all bets are off.

Get a test strip. Dissolve the unknown substance in some water. Apply test strip and read the pretty colors.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ralph,
One of the theory's about my engine seizing was that raw water got into the cylinders and rusted. But how could this happen. The head looked good and showed no obvious issues. Then we opened up the exhaust manifold. we found white crystalline powder in the exhaust manifold. So our theory now is that raw water found it's way back flowing down the exhaust pipe and what did not leak into the cylinders precipitated out as salt in the manifold. It was a lot of salt ( or should I say white crystalline powder).

It seems white powder is being found in all sorts of places.
This morning's news reports that a bag of an unknown white powder was found Sunday in the west wing of the White House. DC Hazmat team, DC Fire and Rescue, DC Police, and Secret Service responded. The powder was later reported as "Non- Hazardous".
:yikes:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
So our theory now is that raw water found it's way back flowing down the exhaust pipe and what did not leak into the cylinders precipitated out as salt in the manifold.
Exactly.

Raw water never enters the block unless it's invited in through an open exhaust valve.

Always remember to close your exhaust valves when you leave your engine. You never know who (or what) might wander in :facepalm:.

• Ha