cruising from Clearwater to Key West and Bahamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gulfsailor

I'm preparing for a cruise for the first time from Clearwater to Key West and maybe to the Bahamas in January 2009 in my 30' sloop with 5'5" keel. Any suggestions for anchorages, equipment to bring, cautions? I have a Garmin 440s and Scitex sounder for backup. Any special prep for leaving US to go to Bahamas? If I love cruising where should I go after the Bahamas?

thanks in advance,
Dan

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Good info here

I'm sure you know this site but just in case. WWW.cruisersnet.net has a lot of current info and you might was to cross post the that site.

Sailm8

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Surpriised that you have not had more responses since so many Florida west coasters have made the trip. Did it once, Tampa Bay through Marathon then the Hawk Channel to the Stream. Up the Stream and into West End of Grand Bahama Island to clear customs. Then over the top and down into Abaco Bay.

Mainly I remember the crab pots, all the way until in the Gulf Stream. We only anchored once, just out of the channel half way across the north side of Grand Bahamas. Except for the yacht club in Marathon we were sailing. It was a delivery to Marsh Harbour so we waited until then to sightsee.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The Bahamas is composed of 2000 cays and 700 islands extending over approximately 500 nautical miles. You should have plenty of time to figure out your next cruise destination. The cruising permit for a 30' boat is at $150. The nautical charts of the islands are imprecise and outdated so rely on your sounder and learn how to read the water for depth. Be careful setting your anchor; the preffered method of insuring proper set is to dive on it to get a visual or set by hand. Having said all this about charts and anchor setting you may understand why sailing at night with a 5.5' keel is not recommended. Everything pretty much is available on the islands includying fuel and water (not cheap but available). I would take extra paper products (plates, cups, paper towels, etc) as their cost over there is unproportionally high. Research radio nets and VHF channels used for weather reports. Cell phone service is spotty at best depending on your carrier. A prepaid phone card from the local company may be the best bet to call back to the US. Take all the tools you may think about using. Do not hesitate to ask fellow cruisers for help should you need some as you will find them very helpful. Mind the weather specially on deep water passages. Good luck.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Check out the great photo essays on Empty Pocket's Bahamas trip in the knowledge base for Hunter 25.5's.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Crising to the Islands Mon

First of all, you don't have to go all the way to Key West (unless you want to) to get around to the Atlantic side for a gulf stream crossing. You can run down to Marathon Key where there is a 65' bridge at the Moser Channel. Then you can run up the Hawk Channel to Key Largo (anchor at Rodriguez Key or get a slip at the Bahia Mar Marina) and then head out through the reef there and go to the Bahamas. But, if you want to do Key West for some hanging out, that is fine too.
Actually there is another bridge further north of Marathon, but the waters of Florida Bay are very shallow and while you can make it with your 5'5" draft, you might have problems. At Moser, you won't.
The biggest thing is to watch for a weather window. In January there will be a lot of unsettled cold fronts and you want to have a nice crossing over the gulf stream. Whatever the wind and sea conditions are in Florida, figure it will be 6 times worse in the middle of the gulf stream. So, pick your weather or you will have one very uncomfortable ride.
Not sure where you want to go or how much time you have, but most go to Bimini or Cat Cay and some go to West End. Depends on whether you only have a few weeks, or a few months. If you only have a few weeks (after you get to the east coast of Florida), then Bimini is about all you can do figuring you might have to wait for a gulf stream crossing weather window. Assuming you have a bunch of time, if you want to go to the Abacos, then sail to West End, stay and clear at the Bahama Bay Marina (very nice) and then work your way around the north end of the Grand BAhama Island to the Abacos.
If you are going to go to the Exumas or Nassau, then go to Bimini, clear in Alice Town and then head around north rock across the banks past Mackie Shoals to NW Providence Channel light and then head toward Nassau. Or, you can clear south of Bimini. Keep south of the Gun Cay light and motor around to Cat Cay and clear there. Then head across the banks past the Russell Beacon to the NW Providence Channel light and then to Nassau.
If you want to hit the Berry Cays on the Way to Nassau, you can go into Chub Cay or anchor around Whale Cay, but unless you want to mess around the Berries, might as well go to Nassau if that is ultimately where you are headed (or to the Exumas).
You should bring your passport. Upon clearing you will have to get a cruising permit and pay $150 (boats up to 35'). Have them write in that a Hawaiian sling is permited (otherwise they have said you cannot use them) so that you can use one for spearing fish and lobster. Provision as you would for any long cruise (another topic).
If you go to Nassau and want to find a slip, then I suggest the Nassau Harbour Club. It is east of the two bridges between New Providence and Pardise Islands. Peter is the Harbour master there. It once was a hotel and had a restaurant, but it is now a staging area for the building of nearby Rose Island where (bummer) modernization is being introduced. But, the marina is open for transient boats. The real nice thing is across the street from there is a shopping center with a great grocery store, liquor store, hardward store, Internet connection, clothing store, etc., which is much nicer to shop in instead of the maniacal shopping in downtown Nassau.
From Nassau you head out the east channel past Porgee Rocks to Hybourne Cay and then down the Exuma chain.
For charts, I would get the Explorer Chart books. They are fantastic and very informative.
If I knew where you were going, I could give you more places to anchor.
If you are going across the banks, then you can anchor anywhere. It is shallow there. Just have an anchor light burning.
You can anchor behind Gun Cay or rent a slip for the night at Cat Cay. You can anchor in the Alice Town/Bimini Harbor, or rent a slip. You only want to anchor along the outside of Bimini or anywhere along that area during the day. There can be some good swells in there at night and the holding is not good. Honeymoon Harbor, south of Bimini and north of Gun Cay is a good anchorage, however, if you need someplace to duck into in the middle of the night and then you can clear in either of the two places when they open up.
Hope this helps. Let me know more of your plans and I probably can be of more help.

I'm preparing for a cruise for the first time from Clearwater to Key West and maybe to the Bahamas in January 2009 in my 30' sloop with 5'5" keel. Any suggestions for anchorages, equipment to bring, cautions? I have a Garmin 440s and Scitex sounder for backup. Any special prep for leaving US to go to Bahamas? If I love cruising where should I go after the Bahamas?

thanks in advance,
Dan

G

gulfsailor

wow, thanks a lot to Barnacle Bill and everyone else!

First of all, you don't have to go all the way to Key West (unless you want to) to get around to the Atlantic side for a gulf stream crossing...

Thanks for the wonderfully specific comments - much to think about over the next 5-6 days before we leave (weather permitting on the 25th of January).

We hope to explore a little of the West coast of FL on the way down. It sounds like the Bahamas are a superior destination, even with the 5'5" keel over spending valuable time in Key West (been there 4 times) or Dry Tortugas.

Sarasota Bay (and Ana Maria Island) sounds nice but not been there yet, Marco Island?, 10,000 islands (mostly to explore via our nifty fast West Zodiac dinghy)?

Anyway lots to learn, explore, experience.

Gulf Sailor

G

gulfsailor

made it - suggestions re dive locations/shops?

We ended up making the decision to go East at Fort Myers and take the Ochachobee Waterway route. They are promising 6.95 depths as of a week ago and we found there was even more usually - like around 8-11' and it was a nice enough journey through the locks and the lack and St. Lucie Canal. We particularly liked the marina at Indiantown.

We waited at the Riviera Marina at West Palm/Fort Worth area for a couple of days and picked a weather "window" to come across - mostly 1-2' swells and some 2-3' also. We had no choice but to take a calmer day with East winds so we had to motor and because of lighter winds and previous North winds the Gulf Stream was somewhat tamed. It did not hold us back much except a little more choppy at the middle point of our 56 nm journey. We were able to average about 6 knots and got to West End's Marina Bay in about 11 hours... tired but happy to be tucked in. Now our plans are to keep the boat here for a year and go back and forth to home base in Tampa area.

Looking for good dive locations and companies in the Abacos and generally mid/northern Bahamas... any suggestions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the wonderfully specific comments - much to think about over the next 5-6 days before we leave (weather permitting on the 25th of January).

We hope to explore a little of the West coast of FL on the way down. It sounds like the Bahamas are a superior destination, even with the 5'5" keel over spending valuable time in Key West (been there 4 times) or Dry Tortugas.

Sarasota Bay (and Ana Maria Island) sounds nice but not been there yet, Marco Island?, 10,000 islands (mostly to explore via our nifty fast West Zodiac dinghy)?

Anyway lots to learn, explore, experience.

Gulf Sailor[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.