cruisin' new zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ed

friend of ours has recently come back from two weeks cruising new zealand. so thought i would put a note for anyone thinkin' of the warmer climes during the coming winter. he, wife and brother in law and wife chartered bareboat a moorings 38' in opua in the bay of islands, north island. south island scenery best that can be found anywhere. - particuarly mount cook and milford sound excepting the bay of islands in the north island. weather in north island a little warmer. winds apparently pretty constant most of the time with superb cruising of 10-15 knots. included a beautiful reach of sme 150 miles non-stop! enough other sailboats of about same size not to feel too isolated but certainly no overcrowding which seems to be coming a problem in the b.v.i. for those who want to be sure anchor lines are not crossing, etc.!! excellent beaches and coves most with some sort of marine facility even if not endowed with high pressure sowers, batteries of washing machines, etc!! has anyone else ben to new zealand or can contribute to an archive of experiece and knowledge? also, airfres there are pretty good. and people straight and friendly. ted.

G

GARRY @ S/V TASHTEGO

New Zealand

My brother-in-law lives in Brown's Bay just north of Auckland. When we go to visit he and I always take off for a week of sailing in Hauraki Gulf. Hauraki Gulf is farther south than Opua/Bay of Islands and the eastern side is marvelous cruising country with numerous empty coves to moor in. The only problem is occasional noisy cows on shore! I believe the Moorings also charters from Westhaven, the Auckland city marina. Try Hauraki Gulf if you go to NZ. Everybody speaks English, prices for gear are reasonable, great people too!

D

don

It's "fine"

After you get used to the nav system outside the U.S., it's one of the most relaxing, scenic and sailing-oriented country there is. Supposedly, one in four Kiwis owns their own boat which isn't surprising given the climate and sailing venues available. Althoug the S island has the best coastline, it also comes with the most changeable and threatening weather, particularly around the sw coast where most folks go for sightseeing at Milford or Doubtful Sound. We have found only 2 days of a total of 12 where the weather there wasn't limited by fog and rain. The Bay of Islands is far better than anything we have found in the Carib. Anyone else ever swim with the sea lions and dolphins? Don

Status
Not open for further replies.