Cricket Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Lust

After a winter of projects and refitting I finaly got our Hunter 33 into the water and got to spend a weekend with our brand new Raritan "Cricket" head. The best way I can describe my feelings would be DEEP Disappointment! What I've discovered is that when installed PROPERLY in a below the water-line application the head will not and can not work as advertised. The pump is supposed to empty more out of the bowl than it pumps in (thereby providing the sister-in-law proofing I need). HOWEVER: when you employ a vented loop to create a SAFE system the bowl fills with sea water as you pump. The only way to counteract this is to turn the dry-bowl lever, which due to this unfortunate design is located down at the back of the toilet's base. The only way to accomplish this is on your knees reaching around with your head essentialy stuck in the bowl you have just used. If I had gone for the PH 11 at least the dry bowl control would have been within easy reach. I bought the Cricket for it's supposed simplicity (despite the fact that a rebuild kit costs twice what those for Raritan's other products do) Needless to say neither my wife or I is pleased by this addition. So Peggy, I guess the guestion is; What can or will Raritan do for us?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Where did you put the vented loop?

Sounds like something is wrong with your installation...I suspect it has to do with where you put the vented loop. As for the dry/flush lever...the pump is under the bowl, so there's no way to put it in a convenient location. However, after numerous complaints from boat owners that they didn't particularly like washing their faces in the toilet bowl each time they flushed, Raritan designed an extension for the lever that allows it to operated from a standing position. You need to talk to Raritan about both problems...so you can discuss in detail exactly how you installed it. Raritan stands behind its products 100% and has the best tech support in the industry. Give 'em a call at 609-825-4900. The Cricket is a fine toilet. Once you get it straightened out, you'll love it. The "rebuild kit" may cost more than others, but unlike others, it includes virtually every part in the pump except the actual diaphragm itself. And unlike piston/cylinder toilets, the Cricket shouldn't need rebuilding more than once every 5 years or so with typical use. However, I'm not sure that ANY marine toilet is 100% "sister-in-law proof." :)

S

Sam Lust

Cricket Desolation

The "vented loop" is installed as closely resembling what is shown in (I believe it is illustration # 2) in the instrucyion sheet. IE: A 3/4" hose runs from the sea cock to the pump inlet of the Cricket. From the pump outlet, the hose, now 1", runs through the bulkhead and up about a foot above the water line to a vacuum breaker. From there it runs straight down to the elbow at the back of the bowl. This is the way the instructions indicate it should be done. All I've done is hidden the plumbing on the other side of the bulkhead and put the elbow at the back of the bowl through the bulkhead to enable me to maintain as much room inside the head compartment as possible, enabling me to fit the High-boy in where only a compact should have fit. My mistake was in missing the sentence in the instructions that said the toilet would not work as advertised if installed below the water line with A vacuum breaker. I'm calling Raritan about the dry bowl extension, but I thein I'm starting to see Mickey Mouse ears floating in the bowl! P. S. : The "K O" has been in the tank for three weeks and so far not a whiff of unpleasantness fron that quarter.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Sam, talk to Raritan about your installation too

Yours is the first story I've heard like it...and it's possible that something is defective or that you've just missed a trick when you installed it that can easily be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.