Cracks in my 2000 model 170 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russ

I bought my 170 new in the summer of 2000. I keep it covered while not sailing and in a garage for the colder months. I recently discovered two cracks in the console deck located just about where the sheet bag would hang & on either side of the mast tabernacle. Each crack is about 2" long. Thought I'd see if anyone has had similar experiences while I await a response from Hunter. I still have one year on my warranty!

M

Mark

Cover questions

Russ, Has your hull been subject to any unusual stresses that could account for the cracks? Are the cracks fine or are they broad and/or deep? Is your cover tight fitting or loose? Is it light or dark in color? I don't think the boat is meant to be tightly covered in hot weather, especially with a dark cover. Hopefully Hunter can provide you with some ideas about the cause and what you can do at this point to mitigate the damage. I'd be interested in reading your experience dealing with them, since your boat is still under warranty. Good luck resolving the problem!

J

John Kivel

call hunter

I had cracks and I called Hunter. They were extremely helpful. I am pretty sure I talked to Lynn at Hunter composites, I don't know the phone number but if you call the one on the web site they will tell you where to call. The number on the web site is a Florida number, the ACP boats are made in CT. I don't want to give you bad advice, so check before you act on anything, but they told me to drill 1/8 inch holes to a 1/8 inch depth at each end of each crack, this will prevent them from growing. He also said that he stongly suspects that many cracks are caused my covers as Mark suggested. The temp under a tight dark cover can be dramaticly higher than the uncovered portion of the boat, and can change quickly when the sun hits the cover. The resulting thermal expansion may be the cause, or the cracks. Anyway I was very pleased with the help I got from Hunter. John

C

crazy dave

Russ on repairs

First thing you need to do is to drill a small hole with a drill bit at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading. Order a tube of plexisus from Hunter Composites. Purchase a can of White spray paint by Krylon #1501. When the stuff is there, take a dremel and cut out the crack. Put plexisus in the dremeled area. Let dry and sand smooth. Fill in again if necessary and wet sand smooth say with 400 grit. You will finite holes in the repair area so I suggest filling in with the krylon paint and then wet sand smooth. Sand the adjacent area of the boat and then start spraying with the paint in the repair area first. Second coat should cover a larger area and third coat another larger area. What you are doing is feathering out the paint. You may want to do a fourth spray but that is all. At that point, let dry overnite and then do a fine wet sanding, and compounding. It will look like new. If you are covering the boat, make sure it is vented and when the boat is not in use, open the drain bail plug on the back of the boat. Never cover a boat with a dark color tarp or cloth as the heat build up will be enormous, thus the suggestions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.