Cracks in Capri 16.5 at mast step under deck

Jul 5, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison
I am looking at a fairly new Capri 16.5 that otherwise looks in excellent shape but that has some linear (front to back and vertical) hairline cracks on the upper deck near the mast step and some more significant cracks on the roof of the storage area under deck, again, at the mast step. It looks like there might be some dark material, probably wood, that can be seen through the under deck cracks. I can't find a cross section drawing for the mast step area for the Capri 16.5, but I expect it is layered FG above a wood core with layered FG below. There is no mast compression post and no stringers, so the load must be spread across the deck through whatever is structurally in there, which doesn't seem like much.

The deck doesn't seem soft, but do these types of cracks represent the start of a major structural failure? And, if so, can it be repaired at a reasonable cost? I'm not looking for a project boat and I prefer to not have the mast drop through the deck.

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
What I would say is open the hatch and look inside there is a board that goes across if you see any cracking inside there then there is a problem ,hairline cracks are common with boats that are stored outside. What you would be seeing is fiberglass mat ,if you are really seeing wood then something has happened up there and that crack is more then a 1/8 inch deep. Hope this helps I am in Rockford not to far from you.

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
I went out and got a picture of the area where the wood is supported by a column on either side if you see cracks here its time to walk away . Maybe just grinding a little and putting fiberglass matt over the area is good enough. Like I did on this butterfly . See if the owner would let you get an estimate and they can give you an opinion on how stable it is.

Attachments

Jul 5, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison
I assume the first 2 images are from your 16.5? I think what can happen with these boats is that the cap shrouds (side vs aft) can be set too short, or can be fouled, so when the mast is stepped, it can overload the mast foot, especially if the person putting it up doesn't notice and keeps pushing. This is especially true with the older style of adjusters (fixed adjustment holes) where they can't be easily tightened after the mast is up. The temptation would be to set them tight before stepping the mast and hope for the best. The cracks I'm concerned with are right in the center, under the mast step/foot. I don't recall seeing cracks at the columns to the side. And everything is under layers of FG, as in your pictures. I saw how a similar failure (but due to rotting) in a 14.2 was repaired by placing new wood underneath and replacing the surface on top. But the area around the mast foot on the 14.2 appears to be flat where on the 16.5 it is shaped (rounded). So it would be a lot harder to make it look good. And I'm not sure if the wood core is flat or shaped (curved). The 14.2 discussion is at: https://sailingforums.com/threads/loose-mast-step.33752/

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
The owner of that boat might of sailed into something or even hit a tree limb trailering to the launch area, best to walk away unless you can get it real cheap. 1st 2 pictures are of the 16.5 the last 2 was a beam in the butterfly I repaired ,just showing it could be just a simple reinforcing fix .