Cracked cockpit seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay Litsey

I went under the cockpit to clean out the storage area, looked up and saw sunlight through some cracks in the seat area. The fiberglass was dried up like a mud flat. What should I put underneath and then topside to reinforce the seating area and seal the holes? I assume I can get some putty like substance with fiberglass in it and spackle the entire area below and then "re-paint" the seats topside with something white - gelcoat?

E

E Keim

Let me know

Should you get an annswer to the problem please let me know. My seats are not cracked but do make a bit of a cracking noise when stepped upon. I will have to inspect the underside to see if I have the same problem. Do you hear a slight cracking sound when walking on the cockpit seats? Wonder if this is normal. You must have had some leaking into the bilge? I may get the back seats reinforced this winter. Any advice would be appreciated. early1950@attbi.com

M

Mike

There are cracks and then there are cracks

I was scared to death when I first bought my Mac 25. I was down in the V berth looking under the berth through the access cover when I saw light coming through the hull. Checking the outside i found a small nick in the gel coat. An expert at a local marina informed me that this was not uncommon. A crack or scrape in the gel coat will let light through and look like a through and through opening when in fact it is only a crack in the gel coat. Flood the area with water and check below for any water seeping in. No water, no crack. Unless someone has over stressed the cockpit seats and floor, you shouldn't need to reinforce the fiberglass. If you put a peice of black electrical tape on the crack and can no longer see it from the inside and the water soak through test is negative, you just might need to repair the gel coat only. Don't jump to conclusions because you see light on the inside. Check carefully, the repair might be simple. Happy Sailing Mike

D

Doug Rodrigues

Opps, Mike is correct.

Mike's comment got me thinking, so I crawled under my cockpit and discovered light shining through my seats! Strange....there wasn't any cracks? I think that the colored gel coat is only on the surface of clear resin permeated fiberglass. Anyway, that's what it looks to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.