Crack in companionway

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K Squared

I am looking to buy my first sailboat and have pretty much decided on an O'Day 23. Today I looked at a 1982 23' O'Day. From inside looking aft, there was a crack for nearly the entire length of the fiberglass that "outlines" the companionway, (where you step to get to the cockpit and up the two sides to within six inches of the deck. The Broker, (who I found to also be a surveyor by looking at the ACM website)said that the problem was not structural and that he had seen this cracking (or seperation, as he called it) on other O'Days. He also claimed that he could not imagine what would have caused such a crack, but offered that perhaps it was a bad seal or bad fit at the time of manufacture. Has anyone seen similar cracks, or seperation, and if so do youhave any reason why it may occur. Is it structural? Other than this crack, the boat seemed clean and well maintained. The rigging was in good shape and I noted no indication of water leakage or rot near the bulkeads. I will have it surveyed if the results of this inquiry seem promissing. I want a boat that is safe and fun. If anyone else has a 23' I would appreciate any input you could offer. Thanks. KK

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

23's are great, but have that crack checked.

K-squared - Where are you from? I got a chance to sail an O'day 23 on Cape Cod a couple of years ago. They're great boats. Pretty stiff for a little boat, and very seaworthy. About the crack: is it in the gelcoat, or does it go through to the glass underneath. Is it wide? How wide? Can you see the separation of layers? There is extra glass around the companionway to support the loads inflicted by the cabin top. If that glass is failing, you should look to another boat unless you are very comfortable with glass repair. On the otherhand, gel coat cracks may not be anything to worry about. Let us know, we'll help you figure it out. Then, if it looks promising, have another surveyor. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Michaela Santiago

Check around other framing

KK, The cracks around the companionway can be indicative of a boat that has spent a great part of its life out of the water impropperly supported. Look at the reinforcing members throughout the boat for other cracking. If you find it consistently, you may be looking at a boat that has been seriously tweaked by gravity. If that is the case, you might be better served by moving on unless you are prepared to do some glass work. On the other hand, if you don't find other cracking, it may be as the broker says. In any case, never trust the broker! Remember that the broker is not there to represent your interests, no matter how nice he may seem. Friends after the deal is great. Friends during the deal you are not. Michaela Santiago Seattle, WA

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Good thouhgt.

Michael - Good thing to check! A lot of the smaller boats that may have spent a significant amount of time on the trailer show this kind of damage. Another place to look for evidence is where the cockpit coamings fair into the coachroof. If the jackstands or trailer supports were placed too far forward, then the cockpit ackts as a lever and shows cracking in this area. Justin- O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.