CQ CQ CQ de KD2DAS

Feb 3, 2014
looking! 22? Albany, NY
Howdy everyone!

New to the forum, and am also an operator.

Call sign is KD2DAS out of upstate NY. I spend most of my time on 10 meter ssb and psk31. I also monitor 6 meter ssb and AM when I'm just hanging idle!

Running a Kenwood TS-480SAT with a home made 6-17m endfed wire antenna (just a little short to tune up 20 with the internal tuner!).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Welcome Jared
This group isn't very active, particularly during winter, but glad to see a new member/ham.

Let us know if you need any advice, it's free and sometimes worth the price:)

Don
K1vsk

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Welcome aboard, Jared. Like Don says, not much going on here but we are a pretty friendly group. I am not very active right now. Had to send my TS-50 back in for repair (again). I swear this is the last time. If it breaks again I am selling it as is and will leave it at that. Might go with an Alinco DX series if I find one.

How has 10 been? I tried working the 10 FM repeaters awhile back but wasn't very successful. I think I hit them a few times but no one came back to me. So I count that as a failure I guess.

Do you carry any HF on board the boat? Seeing how you have a smaller boat there might not be that much room for that.

Well, glad to have you aboard. Hope we can be of assistance, not that you will ever need it. LOL

Feb 3, 2014
looking! 22? Albany, NY
Thanks Brian! No boat yet actually, the V21 is hopefully what I'll be able to get! Ten has
Been great and today was wide open to French Polynesia today around noon EST. could barely hear him, but the pile up was LOUD! I can't so 10m Fm since I'm a tech but do enjoy ssb.

I hope to be able to upgrade soon to general to take advantage of 17
And 15 meters, plus using a longer wire for 20! I was thinking of at least carrying a QRP rig such as a ft-817d or an KX3 and using a vertical fiberglass telescoping pole and an endfed like I have now for some work at night/when I'm anchored for KD2DAS/MM!

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Welcome aboard, I'm in the same boat as Brian need to get my TS440 repaired or get someting else.

K3VKY
Fred Villiard

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Yep, Welcome aboard and fellow Ham. Things will get better this coming spring and summer, so stick around.. Sat. I will be Maritime Mobile on a cruse ship for 7 days. Maybe I can start a big pile up. :dance::dance: 73's for now.

Feb 17, 2006
I caused a pile up once when I was working as KF6BL/T5. Now that was fun being on the end that can pick and choose calls. It got tiring after awhile and I could not longer just enjoy a QSO.

So one day I heard a guy calling CQ and I answered but would not give my call. He figured it out and was so happy he could talk to me. Probably one of the best QSOs I've had in a long time. Only after the contact was done and I signed KF6BL/T5 he said "I knew it"! You could hear the excitement in his voice.

That was fun and you have fun on that cruise.

Fred, this is where I sent my radio: http://www.willcoele.com/radio_repair/

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Thanks Brian,

I've just procrastinating sending my rig to get fixed. By the way how is your solar panel working out. I want to get solar on mine, but I only have two places that I can put the panels one is about 29 x 31 and the other about 25 square. I don't want to mount any off the stern rail, because of windage when I tow long distance.

Thanks again
Fred Villiard
K3VKY

Feb 17, 2006
Fred, as far as I know, it is working just fine. I remember checking the battery status on my 6 hour trip from Dana Point back to Oceanside and the charger indicated the batteries were full. I was running the auto pilot and radio at the time. Made me feel very confident in letting my autopilot run longer.

I think 50 watts was the best choice since I do not have a lot of electronics on the boat.

Jared, how do you like your Baofeng? Have you worked any satellites with it yet? I played around with SO-50 and was going to build an antenna for it but never got around to it. Kick myself in the butt for that.