Covert holding tank to auxiliary diesel tank.

Dec 8, 2021
Hunter 42 Passage New Bern
Thinking of getting rid of holding tank on 42 Hunter Passage and installing two composting heads, then buying fuel tank for old holding tank area. Anyone have any experience with this?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I can't help with the tank replacement, but I have a friend who cruises extensively and has a composting toilet. They love it.
What I might do is to replace one of the toilets, keep the holding tank, and try it for a year. Then decide on the next steps. Burn no bridges.....

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Servicing two systems would suck. If you are going for , go all the way. I haven’t ran across to many that have gone back to black water systems after the switch.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've not converted a black water tank to a diesel fuel tank, but I have a three diesel fuel tank system, and I've converted all my heads to composting heads - I have two heads.

First, I am going to confess that I am now a staunch supporter of composting heads. I have been amazed at these heads, I put in this new one called OGO but I'm sure they are all excellent. If you are interested in more information on that aspect, just ask...

As to the diesel tank - my system is three fuel tanks; two saddle tanks, one on each side of the boat at the same level and a third tank I call a pony tank that sits below these two tanks and is where my engine pulls and returns fuel into. This is done such that on no matter what heal, nor sea state condition, the engine is never starved for fuel. The three tanks work as an integrated system. It's simply how my boat was designed.

You will have to look at your levels and redesign your system with this new tank incorporated into the diesel system. I'm guessing that you will likely have to use it as an independent diesel tank as making it part of an integrated system as I have will likely not be possible. It will likely be an auxiliary tank. So you'll have to look at how you connect to your current system. Are you looking to be able to separate fuel sources once installed such that you could run from one or the other or are you looking to create an integrated system? Will you use this tank to pump fuel into your current tank? Will you use it as a feed tank for supplying your engine when running fuel off this one? Will you now pull from this tank for your engine and have your existing tank simply dump into this one? How will you run your vent line? Do you need pony pumps? You will have to decide those kinds of things.

I'd suggest make a diagram of your boat and the fuel system, both current state and then proposed future state. That may help you decide how best to do this. With a diagram, folks on here may be able to give better input.

I think it's a great idea by the way. So go for it!

dj

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is an interesting thread. I am particularly facinated by @dLj 's "pony" tank. Does the saddle tanks gravity feed into the pony or do you have a fuel pump and a switching system? If gravity... what is the process for accessing the fuel in the leeward saddle tank if you need it.

I am also a little dissapointed... I was so looking forward to discovering what a "Covert" holding tank is...

"Covert holding tank to auxiliary diesel tank".

Seems like a good time to resurrect an overused joke...
1690411772318.png
:poop:

• Ha

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This is an interesting thread. I am particularly facinated by @dLj 's "pony" tank. Does the saddle tanks gravity feed into the pony or do you have a fuel pump and a switching system? If gravity... what is the process for accessing the fuel in the leeward saddle tank if you need it.
Both saddle tanks gravity feed into the pony tank. No pumps. I could technically close off either saddle tank, but I keep them both open. I'd have to do measurements, but just looking at the system, you'd almost have to have your mast horizontal to not get gravity feed into the pony tank from the leeward tank. And even at that, you'd have to be pretty low on fuel. I guess if you were really low on fuel you might have a bit more of a problem. But I don't try to sail with my mast horizontal...

dj