Cover for O'day 20

Jan 27, 2024
O'Day 20 Lake Manawa
I'm the new owner of a 1976 O'day 20. I will be storing the boat with the mast stepped on the dry at my sailing club. I'm wondering where to purchase a cover that will work with the mast stepped. I can find them for one design boats, but I'm not finding any options for my 20. Thanks for your recommendations.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm not aware of how long it is until your sailing season starts. But it's nearly February. So I'd say throw a tarp over it and look for a better solution for next year.
If you search online there are thousands of tarp designs. If you can't find one to suit your needs you can have one custom made. Or make it yourself.
The problem with tarps is that they are rectangular and boats are not. Inevitably the middle can be a pretty good fit but the ends are way too long. You can fold and tape the centerline at the ends of the tarp to make the dangling ends fairly even. You can use good tape , or even sew the seam. If the dangling ends are reasonable even you can hook them to the trailer frame and wait for the UV to destroy the shock cord.
And you have to prevent pooling which is the bane of home made tarps. With the mast spanning the boat it should be easy. But the tarp has to have pretty steep angles to prevent pooling. I've used PVC pipe with a smooth end cap (Tennis ball) and a plywood base to boost low areas where pooling might occur.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
I would call The Sailors' Tailor Inc to see if they would do a custom cover, and what measurements they would need. I bought a cockpit cover for my Mariner that sits on a lift with mast up. Great fit, easy to use, well-made and beautiful. No damage from severe winter storms. Cost $470 with shipping. Ordered in July, delivered in Sept.

Jan 27, 2024
O'Day 20 Lake Manawa
Thanks for the recommendation. Obviously I have the boat in covered storage for the winter. I’m looking forward to the sailing season and knowing the type of timeframe to get a custom cover made is helpful.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Thanks for the recommendation. Obviously I have the boat in covered storage for the winter. I’m looking forward to the sailing season and knowing the type of timeframe to get a custom cover made is helpful.
Forgot to add, my cover from Sailors' Tailor fits wonderfully over my sail cover that covers the main. Shock cord ties to gunwale hooks (included) keep it over the cockpit coaming. Zipper to fit topping lift, snaps and zipper at starboard aft corner for easy access under the cover. Fits around mast. One of the better investments I have made in the boat - keeps the cockpit clean of blowing debris from the cypress and oak trees (and rain, too).

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

BruceC

Oct 6, 2008
Oday 26 So. Orleans
You can spend $400 to $500 for a quality custom boat cover to be designed taking your stepped mast into consideration. However, you might want to consider simply purchasing a couple of heavy-duty tarps available at many marine supply stores. I usually get a couple of years out of the white tarp I purchase to cover my boat and the cost is approximately $100 for the tarp, nylon line and bungee cords and your custom cover will only last so long. I prefer using tarps as opposed to another method, shrink wrap (better air circulation), and I always keep a single port open for ventilation. My sailboat is stored outside at a marina in Massachusetts, so we probably get similar weather conditions. Actually, I did store the boat one winter with the mast stepped and, while it did take some thought, I was able to adequately cover the boat employing two tarps rather than a single tarp. I always cover my boat but keep in mind that the summer sun causes more damage to a boat's exterior than winter's cold and snow! You can protect your investment very well for a lot less money than the expense of a custom boat cover.