Cover, Crack and the Winter

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
So in the past I have used a grey cover that came with my 170. I noticed it got quite warm where it touched, even more on the side facing the sun.
I have used a silver tarp with a board to keep water from accumulating.

What I have noticed is both times the surface of the plastic got hot especially when a bit lower was still cold.
I have also noticed that during the summer the plastic stay cool to the touch even in the full sun.
The cracks every winter are usually on my port side which is the side that is facing the sun even when parked at the club, just that way things work out.

My thoughts are that a large temp differential will cause more cracking. I see more cracks on the port side towards the rear on the outside face of the deck (not sure I think gunwale is the proper term). Which would have the most heat when covered.

So this year I am leaving the boat out uncovered. I live in on south east NJ near Atlantic City. So we have mild but sometimes cold winter temps. I was just outside in the 40 degree weather and the boat is getting full sun. The plastic is cold to the touch and somewhat equal in temp all around the gunwales.

I already have a bunch of minor cracks from over the summer. Not sure if drilling the hole at the end of a crack make much differenece as I am seeing extensions of cracks where some were drilled and some were not drilled. I use the Plexus or equivalent cause it is cheaper and never have a problem with the actual repaired area. But I do see cracks extending from the repairs quite often so I wonder if those are just internal stress areas of the plastic.

Anyway, my observations and thoughts to date on long term owning and operation of my 170.

While I am not a very experienced sailor I can say the 170 is a nice sailing boat.
It can move along smartly but also let you comfortably take friends out. You can sit comfortably with the high boom. BUT that plastic constuction and the fact the wood for mounting stuff can fail makes them potentially difficult to keep and maintain. Basically if one come along a great price and is not horriblely cracked then it could be a fun boat to run. On the other hand, a cracked nasty boat could still be fun, but dont pay much for it. Dont buy one if you are one of those people who likes to keep everything perfect and neat cause the cracks are never going to fix perfect. I fix to keep water out and know it will sail fine, I dont worry about looks.

I have seen several not sell for $2000, that is months later the ads were still listed. Recently there have been 2 with minor cracking for $500 in my area. Both had trailers and paperwork. Both were listed for a couple of weeks and the ads were taken down so I assume they were sold.

Anyway, some perspective.
If they only built them in fiberglass I think they would have been much more popular.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
The manual recommends using a white tarp. I found a 10'x20' one on eBay that does nicely. Cracks repaired in the spring have not re-appeared, and I keep my boat in full sun all day long in north Texas.