courtesy lights not working

Nov 19, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis Port Washington
We just launched our new beneteau 46.1 and the courtesy cockpit lights don't work. The switch for these lights on the port helm station lights up and travels, but no courtesy lights illuminate. Any ideas how to fix? Hoping it doesnt entail taking apart helm station or portion of cockpit!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Same problem on my Hunter 46 and discovered the cockpit courtesy light failed......so replaced it. Have you checked whether the lights have power?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis Port Washington
Thanks for reply sailsfbay. That’s our next step.
There are 6 small courtesy lights on floor of cockpit- 4 surrounding cockpit table and 2 at floor of each each helm station.
Will see if power getting to lights ;one helm light is accessible through stern lazarette, not sure if we can get to cockpit table lights as easily. Seems like a wiring issue somewhere along circuit if all lights are out? But main switch does illuminate on helm panel.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
On my Beneteau the light on the steering pedestal is controlled with switch mounted just above it. The other courtesy light are controlled with a key fob. The battery in my fob always seemed to be dead, so I don't use it. I removed the receiver/controller to make room for a new battery charger. I plan to replace it with a Bluetooth unit and control the lights with my phone.