Coupling removal

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
It's great that you got the flanges apart! just a caution... some Hunter shafts, like our 356, have a threaded end on the shaft and a NUT Inside the flange. After separating the flanges, if you need to remove the flange you may have to move the shaft aft until you can get inside the flange with a large socket and ratchet.
Does anyone know if the 380 shaft has a nut inside the flange, and if so, what size is it?
Jan

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does anyone know if the 380 shaft has a nut inside the flange, and if so, what size is it?
Jan
Do you mean have a nut on the shaft like the nut on the prop? If so, most likely no, I've never heard of that nor seen a flange that could accommodate a nut on the inside.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
You may find that loosening the stuffing box nut slightly may make it easier to slide the prop shaft aft. It would simplify things, too, if you can remove the flooring just to the rear of the flanges. Our boat has a removable panel covering that area. No screws - it just sits there.

n our 2007 Hunter 41AC, the distance between the transmission flange and the stuffing box is pretty short. This made removal of the prop shaft flange more difficult than it would have been if there were even a few more inches of room to work. I made some special tooling to aid in getting the prop shaft flange off so that we could re-pack the stuffing box.

I made a post a year ago showing those tools in use:
Prop Shaft Flange Removal