Couple of "firsts" today

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, it was a wonderful, beautiful day in SoCal so I went sailing. But the winds were not all that good. But that isn't one of the "firsts" I was talking about.

When I go back, I called the wife and had her come down to the harbor. It was a crystal clear day so I decided to motor back out and watch the sunset. What a sight that was. We motored out 2 miles from the harbor entrance. First sunset from the boat.

Then I slowly returned so I could see what the harbor entrance looked like in the dark. Watched for the Aid to Navigation, found them and maneuvered back to my slip. No bumping into anything. Another first.

The sailing sucked, the sunset was beautiful and negotiating the harbor entrance all made for a wonderful day on the boat.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Very little wind up here too. Left Sat morning and motor sailed to San Pedro where we fianlly picked up some wind.. Beautiful weather though. Arrived at Alamotos at 5:30. didn't get down to New Port but sailed around Long Beach with Timo4r2 and his First .Mate. Got back in time for the game at Joe's Crab Shack where I won the half time pool and reverse. Il'll attch a pict of the front Timo's boat, kind of hard to see hels so far back. Just about to head home after breahfast at Schooner or Laters. Winds look non exhistant this morning.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oh to be on the boat to watch a sunset and not have to be in a snowmobile suit :cry::cry:

You guys probably don't even know what a snowmobile suit is.... :doh:

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Oh to be on the boat to watch a sunset and not have to be in a snowmobile suit :cry::cry:

You guys probably don't even know what a snowmobile suit is.... :doh:
Why not? in our area the Snowmobile suit preceded the snowmobile. Kids used to wear something similar when we went to school. The boys usually never had to suffer one but most often the grade school girls had a full body suit that zipped up the front. It always was a point of interest for me to see them try to get out of one before the morning bell rang. The boys around here often ended up wearing the high topped "Galoshes" >> like these babies:
http://www.constructiongear.com/overshoe-4-buckle.html

of course that was the days when we had to walk to school and it was always two feet of snow, up hill to school AND back home.

Feb 17, 2006
All last week I was in Idaho where the temp did not get above 17f. In the morning when I arrived at site, the temps were between -5 and +5. By noon it got to maybe 10. Going back to the hotel it got as low as -16. So, to be on the boat on Sunday watching a sunset was a real treat. Tomorrow I will be in Norfolk for the week. Weeee....... LOL

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Bilbo, I remember those boots and the one piece suits as kids. Of course I'd expect someone from Ohio to know what snow was. It's the ones from California that have only seen them in the movies.

Imagine all the boat "stuff" we could buy without having to spend money on snowmobile suits, snowblowers etc. etc. :doh:

Mind you I do enjoy the skiing.

Brian, a few times we've headed out for an evening motor or very slow sail just to catch the sunset. Gotta enjoy them whenever you can.

Attachments

Pops

Apr 11, 2004
- - Albemarle Sound
Man I hated those boots! I grew up in Minneapolis and we wore them for three months (at least) a year. In my circle it was not cool to buckle them. This meant that at least once a day, while running, the buckles on one boot would find the buckles on the other boot. You can imagine the result, lol.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Brian are you sailing to Norfolk? Maybe you get to use your new sexton!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
It did get cold Sunday nigjt. I woke up at about 3 am freezing. . I noticed that Novelman was no longer snooring, I couldn't even hear him wheezing. I thoght , oh great, he's dead. Then I thought thank goodness its cold enough for him to keep til morning. Five minutes later he started up again to a mix feeling of relief and chagrin.
We motor sailed bak to Palos Verdes lighthouse for lunch and fishing and the home for the end of a near perfect 3 day trip.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
BrianD, glad you enjoyed your sunset. I sail in the evenings often and particularly enjoy the spectacular sunsets over the Boston skyline (see my public profile).

It's going to be a balmy 40F all weekend. Maybe I'll put my shorts on when I get up to shovel off the roof of my house!

Feb 17, 2006
Jim... didn't sail to Norfolk, but I did visit the USS Wisconsin today. Talked for 20 minutes to two WWII vets who served on the Wisconsin. Great fellows. It started to snow when we were talking. They were closing up shop so I thanked them for the conversation and their service and departed.

However, this is where I was last week.

Attachments

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
The USS Wisconsin? Come up here to Camden NJ and see a real battleship. The USS New Jersey. Same class but I like the name a heck of a lot better. I worked in the Phila Ship yard when it came in a few time. The Wisconsin came in too I believe when I was there. They look big unless they are next to an aircraft carrier, hey!

This is where I was last week and I was crusing, train criuse. First class all the way. You can't beat it! Best cruise I ever took. Better than my outside cruise to Block Island. That trip was ruff! I determined outside is no place to be in a production boat when the weather gets heavy.

Attachments