cost to Awlgrip

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2010
hunter 33 marina del rey
I'm thinking about painting my 2005 Hunter 33 with Awlgrip, when I pull it for a bottom paint job also. Does anyone have an idea of cost to paint the Awlgrip portion?:doh:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
For the topsides?

Based on my experience with our last two boats, it should be in the range of $8- $12 thousand depending on how much prep will be required.

May 17, 2010
hunter 33 marina del rey
I'm thinking just painting the hull, no problem with the topside, actually no problem with the hull, I just like the looks of a blue boat.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I'm thinking just painting the hull, no problem with the topside, actually no problem with the hull, I just like the looks of a blue boat.
Hey Paul.... I like the looks of a blue boat too. Is your 2005 33h already blue?
If not, then you do know that having colored top sides blue or otherwise is a lot to of maintence ...$$$$$. If your hull is already white then save the money and just keep a good coat of wax on it.
In fact my boat needs a bottom job. You could help me spread the wealth around here at the local boat yard.... hint,hint....;);)

Apr 11, 2005
Bayfield 36 Rock Creek
One thing to be aware of is changing the hull color will make it warmer inside. You might not necessarily notice this but your ice will melt faster inside the icebox and the fridge (if you have one) will run more.

Blue hulls are very sharp looking but it's good to know the consequences! Also, once painted, you will worry about every time you approach a dock that you might scratch the paint. Awlgrip is cleaned using a special cleaner as well.

Tod

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The hull is commonly referred to as the topsides as opposed to the deck.

As to the heat generated by a dark hull, I've had dark colored hulls in both Rhode Island and here in Florida and never experienced that in either location. As to the comment on maintenance, it is actually easier to maintain a Awlgrip topsides as it requires only washing and a periodic wax job. No buffing or polishing required.

Apr 11, 2005
Bayfield 36 Rock Creek
One thing to be aware of is changing the hull color will make it warmer inside. You might not necessarily notice this but your ice will melt faster inside the icebox and the fridge (if you have one) will run more.

Blue hulls are very sharp looking but it's good to know the consequences! Also, once painted, you will worry about every time you approach a dock that you might scratch the paint. Awlgrip is cleaned using a special cleaner as well.

Tod
My comment about the hull being warmer comes from the experience of a good friend who painted his white hull navy using Awlgrip paint. He said he wouldn't paint again. This is in the Chesapeake so we know something about hot summers. Consider all comments and make your best conclusions!

Apr 11, 2005
Bayfield 36 Rock Creek

Tod
This comment about hull temperature is from a friend who painted his boat's white hull navy blue using Awlgrip. He would not do it again. We sail in the Chesapeake so we know about hot summers. Draw your own conclusions and good luck!

jbinbi

Apr 17, 2013
hunter 33 MA
You should not have to repaint or awlgrip a boat so new! You normally see this being done to 15-20+ year old boats. Save your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.