Cost of new cushion covers?

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I have an '84 H31 and want to have new covers made for the cushions in the salon (the v-berth and the quarter berth are ok). Has anyone had this done? What should I expect to spend?

Thanks.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Contact US Yacht Cushions in Florida. They have the patterns for your model. I had them make new cushions for our H31 many years ago. Great quality and good service.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I have an '84 H31 and want to have new covers made for the cushions in the salon (the v-berth and the quarter berth are ok). Has anyone had this done? What should I expect to spend?

Thanks.
if you have a sewing machine, its easy to make your own cushion covers. what you should expect to spend depends entirely on how much material you will use, and how much you pay for it.

for interior material, there is no need to buy "marine" grade stuff, as the automotive upholstery materials have every quality of the marine stuff, but only with a much better selection. personally, I strongly believe the automotive materials will outlast some of the "marine" grade stuff, only for the reason that I have seen marine grade interior materials deteriorate in 5-7 years when in direct contact with the elements, and yet an old car seat can set out in the weather for 12-15 years and still be somewhat usable.

measure up all your cushions, longwise and lengthwise, then double it (for top and bottom of cushion), then add 20%..... convert this to sq yards, and get a quote on the material of your choice.... this will give you a very close idea of what it will cost you. zippers and polyester thread will be insignificant in comparison.

but before purchasing, make sure you know the width of the material so you can plan your layouts for your cuts to maximize the material, and to make sure when they cut the material, it is long enough for the job... so there isnt any unforeseen or accidental waste.

material can be expensive... to match the material on our 34 that a PO had installed, I had to pay $83.00 per yard... luckily I only needed enough to cover the dinette-conversion-to-berth cushion...
but expect around $30-40 for average auto upholstery materials...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am doing this myself as we speak. Sailrite materials. Cost of materials has run me about $1000.00 using the old cushions. To have someone else do it will probably run at least $3000.00. Not cheap.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the same need on my 30T. The previous owners gave us the material they were going to replace the salon fabric with. The cushions look complicated. Angles, zippers etc. Are there patterns available for the '91 too? Sewing ourselves is out, but we might be able to find someone local, especially if we had patterns.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
i got a very good price per yard on commercial grade fabric from Discount Fabrics USA.com They will send samples for a few bucks. Don't buy cotton as it will absorb boat smells. Between the fabric I purchased and using an auto/boat upholsterer, the project was about $1100 bucks for my 27' O'day covering all berths, settees and back rests.. I saved a lot by searching for the best fabric price. The fabric has held up very well.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Hi Nick,
This (FAA) covering I think is perfect for boat seats below deck. The nice thing about FAA certified fabric is should you have a fire, it does not put out fumes that will incapacitate you. All materials in put into modern planes are suppose to be this way. Not a bad idea for a boat cabin where you may have to breathe while putting out a small fire. Say from a father in laws cigarette that he was not suppose to smoke... FAA fabrics mostly won't burn very easily either.

Also, It would not be good if pilots kept having to leve their seat because it was uncomfortable, so airplane fabrics won't usually make you wet with sweat and have excellent comfort indexes. Sometimes pricey but worth it.

Thanks for posting, when I make my new covers I will probably also pay the extra bucks and get FAA certified.

Last year we reupholstered our tired original cushions which were fabric indoor Sunbrella to Ultraleather (aviation pilot seat grade FAA Certified material) and it is silky smooth, looks like the real leather (not marine or automotive vinyl)...

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I had new Sunbrella vinyl covers made in 2007 for all the cabin cushions - salon, qtr berth & V berth. It was just under $2k total. Of course it would be a little more today.

PS: They are holding up very well. I selected vinyl for ease of cleaning and am glad I did.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
cushions.JPG Another DIY fan. We did our own on our old SanJuan 28. What a difference.
As for a pattern: the old upholstery is your pattern. It's really pretty simple.

Ken

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Just throwing out another data point. Our local auto & marine upholstery shop quoted us $2300 to recover the salon, rear and V berth cushions on our Hunter 33.5. As soon as my wife picks the fabric we'll have that done for us.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I do not recall the exact amount of fabric. It is Sunbrella. The purchase also included the hot knife, seam tape, silk film, thread, zippers and a few sewing tools so it was not all just the fabric. We also purchased a used sailrite sewing machine (not included in the $1000.00) after breaking a standard Singer trying to sew the heavy Sunbrella fabric.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: "The purchase also included the hot knife, seam tape, silk film, thread, zippers and a few sewing tools so it was not all just the fabric. We also purchased a used sailrite sewing machine (not included in the $1000.00) after breaking a standard Singer trying to sew the heavy Sunbrella fabric."
The Sailrite site has a large stock of fabrics and lots of tips & how-to videos and a forum for questions. I've done my exterior canvas with my Sailrite, the walking foot and heavy flywheel makes it easier to sew the thicker fabrics. You can use a standard machine with a heavy-duty needle and take your time, but my wife was leery of letting me use hers. Waiting on doing the interior cushions till I'm done tearing it up.
On the other hand, I did not sew my sails, I had Bacon Sails do them. Partly because I don't have a ton of space in the house for all that fabric and partly because they are more complicated and I didn't want to deal with them.