Corinthian Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2010
Bristol Corinthian Brooksville, maine
I recently purchased a 19' Corinthian and need to provide it with an engine. Should I use the engine well or set up and outboard brackett. What horsepower is necessary?

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Congratulations on your Corinthian. They are great little boats.

I use a little Evinrude 2 horse regular shaft outboard. You might need a long shaft for rougher waters. I use it in the well, and remove it, and stow it in the cabin floor when sailing. It's best to keep the motor as far right in the well as possible to avoid hitting the rudder when both are turned. I pin the motor well plug in place while sailing also, to keep from shipping water when heeled over on the starboard tack.

The 2 horse is fine for getting in and out of the harbor, but is a little underpowered for choppy seas. I normally keep the mainsail up if I need to motor any distance. I think a powerfull electric trolling motor would do ok also.

The Corinthian sails so well in light air, that a motor is not as important as with some boats. Do you have a good, light genoa?

Alec

Sep 23, 2005
Catalina 28mkII Bohemia River, MD
Corinthian engine

I had a Corinthian many moons ago that was powered by a 2.5 hp British Seagull that hung on a bracket on the starboard side of the boat. Wierd setup but it pushed the boat just fine. That being said, I would have preferred using a well. As to putting a bracket on the stern....it's inconvenient and why destroy the beautiful shape of that hull?

Whatever motor you get, make sure that it will fit under the seat when you don't want to use it. She's a sweet sailor without the drag of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.