Copperpoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Sevier

I have been reading a bit about a combination bottom paint and barrier coat. Anyone have any first hand experience with "Copperpoxy"? I have read all the info, but would like to hear from someone who has actually used it.

A

Alex

I heard of it..

.. as a friend of mine did it here, on his 32 feet sailboat.It's called Copperboat or alike,bought in UK. He was told it would replace regular antifouing paint and last up to 10 years.. He did it as per precise instruction for DIY ,( and it wasn'e eassy as it is very thick paint , and need almost constant stir ,but he has tech knowledge and experience..). After one year , it had more marine growth on it than regular paint, after 2 years it started to peel off.. Eventually he had to remove the all of it, not an eassy job. and returned frustrated to regular paint.. After some mail exchange with the firm/dealer expert, his conclusion was that-in practice- it is almost impossible to DIY right..( unless it was their eassy way out..) I heard of none else who tried it . Fron European sailing magazines I read,I don't get the impression that many have tried it , altough constantly adverised for years( maybe the high price is another factor..).

J

John 25 O'Day

I put it on my O'Day Kc four years ago. It is not a easy application as it is the consistency of peanut butter. It can be thinned with alcohol. After four years without burnishing, a small eco system started to develop. It is not somthing you put on and forget for ten years as the manufacturer may lead you to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.