Converting stove from gas to propane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2010
S2 36 center cockpit Kingston
We have are ready to launch our newly purchased S2 11 centre cockpit and it has a natural gas cooking stove. We need to convert it to propane and are wondering if anyone has done this in the past. If so, any pointers on converting?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have an S2 11.0 aft cockpit and I'm just now finishing this conversion (except I converted from alcohol). You might be able to convert the stove but the real work is deciding where u want to put the propane tanks and implementing a safe installation. I did not want tanks hanging on the rails or sitting topside so I put a propane locker inside the cockpit locker. All I have to do is run a vent line to the transom. Be glad to discuss ur questions..

Sep 1, 2010
Thanks for responding. Yes, we are not used to such small lockers...a huge transition for us. The main concern is the shape of the tanks as the gas are very long and narrow and fit in the locker fine. but for sure we would love to speak to you about what you did. We understand that there is a kit but we need the model # of the stove to get it we are told. Is there a number where we can reach you at and when is a good time to call?

Sam

Sep 1, 2010
OK. WE are not sure now that we can do the conversion as it appears that the stove is no longer in production and getting a conversion kit may be next to impossible. Did you have to buy a kit to convert it? If so, where were you able to get it. And did you actually convert the stove or did you buy a new stove. If you converted a stove, what is the maker and the model. These would be the questions we need answered. Thanks..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Our boat had the original alcohol stove which cannot be converted to propane as far as I know and it was looking sorta ragged. I installed a new Seaward propane stove (~$900). "Sure Marine" in Seattle is a good resource for stove issues among others. If they don't how to do it then it probably can't be done. I used a Trident propane locker for two 10# tanks in the cockpit locker. It has the regulator/solenoid valve/control switch etc with it. With a center cockpit, you might be able to put it on deck somewhere.

Sep 1, 2010
As. That explains it. We wondered about converting from alcohol. Our stove is in great condition with a nearly new oven. We need to find the serial number to get ant further and have where to find it.

May 1, 2011
Beneteau First 235 Scottsdale, AZ
I live aboard an 11C with CNG. I just refilled 2 tanks today. It cost me $1.20. Each tank lasts about 6-8 weeks. I have 4 tanks in the 2 aft deck lockers. Wouldn't think of changing to propane.

Sep 1, 2010
I live aboard an 11C with CNG. I just refilled 2 tanks today. It cost me $1.20. Each tank lasts about 6-8 weeks. I have 4 tanks in the 2 aft deck lockers. Wouldn't think of changing to propane.
WE would LOVE to not have to change..but we are in Canada and we cannot get the tanks filled here anymore. It is no longer allowed..and even though we are a one houir drive or a two hour sail from Clayton New York and would get them filled there, we also cannot find anywhere there to get them filled. Where do you live that you can get them filled still.?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Therein lies the problem... We plan on some trips between Seattle and Glacier Bay AK. I can get propane at "any" gas station so to speak.

Sep 1, 2010
And we have called everywhere we can think of in this area in the northern NY state and no one fills them anymore. We may be faced with installing a new stove. YUK. But thanks for your replies.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Can you email me at jetsails@yahoo.com. We have the CNG and decided to do a conversion on the Seaward to go to the Bahamas and got a conversion kit. I'd like to email you the particulars, it gets a bit long for this forum. Gayle Toben. Also might have a source for a lead on CNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.