Converting a helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2005
Catalina 30 Downtown//Shoreline Marina, Long Beach
Is it possible to convert a pedestal wheel helm to a tiller helm and, if so, how is it done and how much would it cost on a 1985 Mark I? Thanks.

B

Bob

Just the opposite here awhile ago

Wow Farmhand, We had a thread going here a few weeks ago about a guy who wanted to convert the tiller steering to a wheel on his late 70's 30 Cat. I have an '88 model and would think you could use the existing rudder post and emergency tiller set up. The emergecny tiller fitting could possibly take the tiller head fitting (go to Catalinadirect.com); however, if you took off the pedestal you would have to take off the quadrant and cables off th e rudder post. All you would be left with are the holes that support the pedestal to the deck to cover or fill in. You would have the access panel to the quadrant in the cockpit that would stay unchanged. Kinda thinking out loud here!!!! I would contact the Catalina factory and ask to talk to one of their design or construction folks. Afterall the rudder configurations relative to the rudder post are all the sameeither it be wheel or tiller, so why could'nt this work?! Let us know what you find out..........Good luck Bob '88 30 Catalina

Oct 3, 2005
Catalina 30 Downtown//Shoreline Marina, Long Beach
Tiller helm

Yeah, bad idea. Also, most, if not all '85's were wheel equipped, so I'll have to begin searching for an '84 for a tiller model.

Status
Not open for further replies.