Contest 31 - Offshore reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Capt. Andrew

Recently purchased a 1975 Contest 31. While reading Hal Roth's "How To Sail Around The World", he shared the tale of "Banjo", a Contest 31, that suffered a six-foot tear in its hull during a hurricane (between Bahamas and east coast of US). Boat was abandoned. Sustained 60 knot winds in what were described as 50-foot breaking seas. Have other small Contests, like the 31, crossed oceans?

E

Eric

Contest 31

I read the same book and also recently purchased a 1980 Contest 31HT. I think the main thing to take away from that portion of Hal Roth's book is that a Contest 31 can take several knock downs from 50+ foot waves and still stay afloat. In fact, I think Roth implied that the excellent construction of the Contest 31 was the main reason the owner, and friends, made it back alive. As you know, the Contest 31HT (there are two versions of the 31HT designed by Dick Zaal and another version of a different Contest 31 designed by different designer) has a small cockpit which is perfect for open ocean sailing. In addition, she is built like a tank - real solid, with flat uncluttered

Status
Not open for further replies.